Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about child support+visitation

In my divorce I got FULL custody of my daughter ang he got reasonable visitation....he lives 5 hours away so he rarely comes to see her (hasn't in 8 months) and he is NOT paying child support so do I have to let him see her if he's not paying child support?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • If he has court ordered visitation yes. Child support and visitation are in no way connected. If he is not paying child support notify your family court. If you disallow visitation he can have you prosecuted/found in contempt for not following the court order.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • Visitation is separate from Child Support. Yes, if he chooses to exercise his visitation, then you are obligated by the agreement to allow it.

    Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • They are separate issues. Notify the court if he is not paying child support and keep track of all contact between them (phone calls, letters, visits).

    Answer by happytexasCM at 11:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • If you he has court ordered visitation then yes you have to let him see her if he isnt paying, go to the court and get the support enforced He isnt renting his child! I had an ex who felt that sine he didnt see his son then he wasnt going to pay and i had to explain to him he wasnt renting his child

    Answer by Alie1313 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I would file again since he isn't paying for child support and usually when there is another case going on they put visitation on hold unless otherwise. My friend filed against her ex a second time and they stopped visitation until the case was over, they just told him to wait until the case was over. So I am only going by what she went through, so try and file again since he isn't paying, you have a reason to take him to court. If I were you I would just ask him why he's not paying and why after 8 months he wants to come and see her. I would also tell him that he doesn't pay for anything or ever help out with her so in my eyes your not a dad so either you step up or step out of her life for good. This is just my opinion on things.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • You still have to let him see your children. Child support and visitation are two different issues. If he isn't paying child support, report him to the child support agency and let them take care of him. Be careful what you say or do because it could come back to bite you later. You cannot keep a child from a father for nonpayment of child support. You can talk to your attorney to be sure what you can and cannot do, but I wouldn't deny the visits.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.