question for homeschoolers

i'd like to know some differing opinions regarding homeschooling. i get the whole freedom thing, special needs thing, and the issue of violence in school and what you do not want your kids exposed to. what about after school? when the kids are off. do you let your kids socialize with kids that go to public school? it seems like whenever we meet someone who is homeschooled it seems like they are homebound. the kids never come out to play, have church in their homes and aren't allowed to join other social activities public schooled kids do. just wondering, i've had neighbors like this so many times.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 10:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our neighbors homeschool their kids. We moved in back in October, they have a 5 YO girl, we have a 4 YO girl, they have a 3 YO boy and our boy is 2.5, (they also have an older son) perfect, right? Apparently not to them... I have yet to meet them, its very strange to me. My husband has talked to the guy a bit, and I've waved to him, but in all this time I have never even SEEN the wife. My kids are so little and haven't even started public school yet, so I don't understand why they wouldn't want to get them together, we're always outside playing.

Interesting question, maybe some homeschoolers here can shed some light.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• everywhere we have lived, we had neighbors that homeschooled. and we never see the kids. we see the moms pile them into the minivan but thats it. i go over to meet them, invite them over to ride our horses or play on the slippin slide or trampoline. no dice.
    back in MS we did have one 5yr old boy escape and he ran straight to our house and hopped on the trampoline. i had no idea what house to take him back to!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You need to talk to a homeschool group in your community. Are you considering homeschooling? You are coming accross as having negative preconcieved notions.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:52 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Well lets talk about my day. I get up at 6 am. Get my computer coffee time, we start our chores after breakfast, then we do school. I read to my kids for about three hours. We do math, science and have lunch somewhere in there. We do writing and then we do more chores. We take breaks and we play during that time as well. Sometimes we are out on field trips and with our homeschool groups or with girl scouts, or at jujitsu class.
    Frankly, my kids do not want to socialize with school kids as they have found them to be rude, inconsiderate, immature and negative. Most of them treat others like crap. (These are comments made to me by my kids, not my opinions.)
    As far as not going out into public, my kids AND I are really tired of having to defend ourselves. Why do we have to explain our lives to others? Is anyone asking you what you do, why you don't get out of the house more? We are busy.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I can understand why you need to be so defensive,you sound exactly like the people you are speaking out against Susie.
    You are coming accross as having negative preconcieved notions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• OH, and I before E, except after C- So much for homeschooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I homeschool, and my kids are very socialized. They play with the other kids in the neighborhood ( some of whom are public schooled, some are private schooled). We go to the playground and they play with whoever will play with them. I don't go around asking the kids if they go to public school or if they're homeschooled before my kids are allowed to play with them. Most of their close friends however, are homeschooled or private schooled because we are very involved in our church and those are the kids that they are around most of the time. They go to Tae Kwon Do every Monday with a bunch of kids and I haven't taken a poll of HS vs PS with those kids either. We've been taking them to the homeless shelter twice a month since they were 3.

I don't want my kids socializing with rude, undisciplined children, and there are those kinds of kids in every school setting ( private, public or home). BTW, I know some PS kids who are
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• much more socially deprived than than the homeschooled kids I know.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Me personally Im a teacher, but Im just not for homeschooling. I dont think everyone has the ability to teach. I too have seen alot of homeschooling and something is just not right about it. All public school kids aren't rude or nasty alot of them ar really polite. I think it all depends on where you live and what your school district is like. But I dont believe everyone should homeschool
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• limnsnay83, what's not right about homeschooling? I taught my kids how to go potty, use a spoon, tie their shoes, READ when they were 4 years old ( they're ahead of most public school kids in that area) and how to cook scrambled eggs. Why should my teaching stop because society tells us that we need to let someone else have our kids when they are 5 years old?

I agree with you that not everyone should homeschool, but to generalize and say that something is not right about it is rather ignorant IMO. That's like saying, "All public school teachers are just there for the 3 month summer vacations." Doesn't it make you mad when you hear things like that? BTW, I don't believe that for a second. I know there are some WONDERFUL teachers out there, I had a few myself, and I give alot of credit to most of the teachers these days; working for peanuts and dealing with out of control kids and rude parents. But please don't criticize all
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2009