How can I get my son to sleep in his crib without screaming bloody murder?

My seven and a half month old son has never really cared for sleeping in his crib, but we'd get him to every once in a while. Then, all last month, my son and I went home to visit with my mom since the Navy had taken my husband out to sea for a month. My son didn't like sleeping in the pack n' play, so he slept with me... for a month. Yes, I know, I shouldn't have done that. Now I'm paying for it. Every night we put him in his crib for bedtime but screams and cries. Even if he's asleep when we lay him down, he immediately wakes up and cries. He'll cry until we pick him up and take him out of his room. My husband's solution is to show him who the adults are in this house and let him cry himself to sleep. I advocated that we should at least go in there every half hour to check on him, make sure there's no real reason for him to be crying. He cries for an hour every night. There's got to be another solution. Can anyone help me?

Shannashell

Asked by Shannashell at 10:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do whatever works for my family and for us that means a family bed.
    If you don't want him in your bed and it doesn't work for you then you can try moving him out gradually. Some parents find it helpful to have the crib in the same room. Try reading the no cry sleep solution.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i had the same problem. i know i shouldnt of let my little boy sleep with me , but he was used to sleeping in a bed. he didnt like to sleep in a crib or playpen. so since he was used to sleeping in a bed i would put him in one and would tell him to lay down and dont get up bc its bed time and i would walk out and crack the door then check on him. he was a little older then urs though about 20 months. or u could get a bassinet and let him sleep in that by ur bed.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2009