Ear Infection

WHat are signs of ear infection? Is it confused with teething alot? If its ear infection what time of day are they usually more irritated with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's an infection there will be a fever. At least the majority of the time.
    In my experience, my little ones always became very fussy when being laid down at night and they would also pull or tug on their ear.
    It is common for some babies to have pain in their ears while teething, though so it can be difficult to know that's why I judge it based on the fever. If you're concerned you can call your doctor and ask his or her opinion or speak with one of the nurses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It's usually when they lay down that the fluid slides into the ear canal and causes the pain. Sitting up helps it to open back up. If in doubt please take to the dr's. Ear infections are painful and can lead to hearing loss if left untreated.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my lil one had a temp of 103-104 and i called the doc,they said if she has a temp for 3days bring her in,i did turned out she had an ear infection.the only sings she has was she wasnt eating,she was throwing up and not playing or anything
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My daughter rarely had signs. Never a fever and usually it was a well visit, follow up or pink eye that caused us to find it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My doctors always said that teething has nothing to due with ear infections. But i don't believe it. Because my kids (both) only ever got ear infections when they were teething. It was so hard to tell because they were already fussing from teething and they never pulled on their ears either ( sure sign of infection). The only way i knew was taking them in, or with my oldest she got fevers and she threw-up ...ughhh poor baby.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yes, teething is often confused wtih ear infections as younger children don't realize where pain comes from. So they feel the pain in their jaw from the teething and then will grab their ears. Older kids, ear pulling is a tell tale sign, but with infants... Also, sometiems the just discover their ears and play with them but have no pain.

Watch for fever, trouble sleeping, pain when laying flat, but OK when raised or upright, lack of appetite (which occurs with teeting due to tender gums), and general crankiness (which could mean anything)
    Anonymous