should i let my 12 year old daughter wear make up

she has acne and is very sensitiveabout it what should i do

rauriesam

Asked by rauriesam at 11:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't have kids in that age group...but is there anything else that you can do? Can you take her to a dermatologist? Some insurance companies cover it others don't...you'd have to look into it. I just hate to see such young girls look and act like they are older. There is already so much pressure for them to grow up.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 11:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Why don't you try Pro-active on her face. I think that the make-up may make her acne worst. This is really all up to you if you think that she is ready for make-up, For me NO i would not allow my DD to wear make-up until she is 13, That's how old I was when i could begen wearing it, And i stopped wearing make-up when I was 20 I like all natural look. (I do wear make-up for special get-together.)

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I just answered and it didn't post for some reason! I said maybe try Bare Minerals? I don't think that clogs the pores as much, and there are cheaper versions of it now. When I was 12 that's when the other girls in my class started wearing make-up, but I think regular make-up would just make her acne look worse. The Bare Minerals type make-up gives such a natural look.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• it would be best to get her started on a good skin care regime... it dosent have to be a super expencive one... i worked as a estetician for a while and even the cheap stuff works wel if done right...

witch hazel is an excelent astringent and works well with acne, and she needs a good soap, i like neturagena or olay, and moisturizer, and a mud/clay mask 1-3 times a week will deffinatly help...

make up cna clog pores but the bare minerals make up is very good, and they have cheeper brands
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I to would start with some type of skin care routine to help reduce the acne but I would also allow her to wear powder and light blush as well as lip gloss. No lipstick, eye or dark make up. But I will allow my DD to do that no matter what. If the acne was a real probelm then I would consider seeing a dermatologist as well. If it was me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Nope, she is too young. Instead of makeup, take her to a doctor and get her meds that will help clear up the acne. She needs to wash her face twice a day with face cleanser, NOT soap. Try Clearisil pads to wipe away dirt throughout the day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree, 12 is too young to be wearing make up. i had acne since i was 8, and make-up will only make it worse. IF you do decide to get her some make-up, read the label to make sure its non comodogenic, meaning it wont clog pores.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• first i would try to take care of her skin. it's totally understandable that the acne is bothering her. but before you try make up try a dermetologist. the make up may make it worse. she might need a certain kind of make up. bare minerals is excellent for sensitive skin and i would let her wear some not tons like a model just little bit at a time you know so that she still looks her age but she will feel good about herself too
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If her acne is that bad, you should invest in a GREAT dermatologist! I highly discourage you from allowing your beautiful young lady to wear make-up at such a young age! Beauty is a major issue these days with our young ladies, but allowing her to wear make-up at the tender age of 12 {good Lord!}} is disturbing! Not t2 mention it will be sending her the message that she should cver up what she considers 2 be "flaws" rather than address her self-image issues head on!
    meripnlbc

Answer by meripnlbc at 7:30 AM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If her acne is bad....it will take expensive make-up 2 do the job, why not spend that $$$ towards a professional that will teach your child how 2 treat, cleanse, feed and care for her beautiful skin and nip this thing in the bud before she gets in High School? She can go 2 a physician see other young ladies and find comfort in knowing she's not the only one as she waits in the lobby amongst her peers w/the same issue...or she can go to the MAC counter and feel even more embarrassed as the girls with perfect skin surround her buying make-up to enhance their "beauty" while she's there because she feels she HAS to wear it to possess "beauty"
    altogether! Bottom line........she's too young! This probably can be taken care of by simply changing her diet, drinking more water, properly cleansing her skin on a daily basis and a few vitamins! You can get a good facial for less than $40 @ a Nail Salon ;-} make it a mommy & me date!
    meripnlbc

Answer by meripnlbc at 7:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2009