What do you do with all the stuff your kids make?

My mom saved EVERYTHING I ever did. Every school paper, every drawing, every craft - since I was born. lol She wanted to give them to me when I got married and moved out, but I don't want them! I'd throw the whole box out! Having had this happen to me, I know my kids wont care about EVERYTHING they made when they are in their 20s. I just can't bare to throw something they made away! I was thinking maybe every once in a while we could mail some of their stuff to the grandparents out of state or something so they could enjoy it too and it "gets rid of it" without me having to throw it away. What do you think? Any other ideas?

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 11:11 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I saw on TV one time that a mom had the same issue. So what she was told to do was make a folder for the year. And at the end of the year pick out x amount that both you and your child like...and toss the rest. Then put the keepers in a scrap book or a box or something.

I keep somethings and toss others...we don't have the room for it all.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 11:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• OH BOY, I HAVE AN ATTIC FULL OF STUFF MADE BY MY KIDS!!!! THEY GET A KICK OUT OF LOOKING AT IT ONCE IN A WHILE. ORGANIZING IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA, BUT IT IS PAINFUL TO JUST THROUGH AWAY!

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I heard this idea somewhere and have been using it for my 6yr old. Take pictures of everything and then make an album for each school year with the pictures! I love the idea and a photo album takes up a LOT less room than trying to save all that stuff!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It might be my arts background, but my feeling is that when you make something—a painting, a collage, a sculpture—nine times out of ten, it's crap. When my daughter brings something home and it has no redeeming qualities, it goes in the trash (no, I don't put it in the trash in front of her.) With the rest of the stuff, if it's a Mother's day card or a really special-looking thing, I'll probably keep it. The rest go on her bedroom walls, and we swap them out every couple of months with new stuff, and the less impressive ones go in the trash. I end up saving maybe one out of twelve items.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I actually LOVE looking back at the stuff my mom saved from when I was little! Maybe SJ will too! What my mom did was put all of our stuff in one of those brown wicker basket type chests that opens on the top and it has a piece of glass that goes on top so she uses it as a coffee table in her basement. Keep the stuff! At least the good stuff :o
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I take pictures of the stuff i don't want to keep. I love everything my kids make. But now that i have two of the , i'm running out of room to store it all. So i take pictures but i still save the really special ones. My 5 yr old is getting really good at drawing so its hard to pick and choose but pictures are just as good as i see it. :P
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• the things that are really neat or if they are especially proud if it, i will save. the rest will be circular filed eventually.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Through the year I keep everything! Then during the summer when I am off, I look through and keep ALL art work, a few tests, writing papers from beginning and end of year. Anything that is a good note from the teacher, certificates, ribbons from field day, class pictures. The art work and tests go into a plastic storage bin and the certificates, ribbons, awards, notes go in a special book I found that has a page and pocket for each school year. The book has space for school pictures and information about friends, teacher, favorite things, etc.The girls love looking at what is inside for each year!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Take pictures or scan everything. Keep the things they really like or your really like. I like LoveToTeach's idea of going through everything at the end of the year. That let's some of the attachment die down and makes it easier for the child to let go to make room for next years stuff.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am selective in what I keep because my son goes to preschool and always come home with art work. that being said I put each art work into a scrapbook and on the back of art work put date and his age.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2009