Dog training?

Our puppy is 13 weeks old now. With the stuff we've taught him, he does really well with. Thing is, my the one home all day so I'm the one who has to tell him NO about every little thing (like chewing on shoes and not nipping at the kids - he's a herding dog) so now, when I want to love on him or ask him to come to me so I can take him outside, he hides from me. I'm never mean to him. I just use a strong NO and that's it. He never gets hit or swatted with anything. How do I get him to come to me?! I'm not exactly the expert dog trainer. That would be my DH, but he works til 7:30 or 8pm every night.

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 11:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Do you do fun things with him as well as just saying NO? Like do you do small training sessions to teach him to sit, stay, etc. using treats? Do you take him out to the backyard to play and for walks? Do you play with him inside as well?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have this problem with my dog and i figured out that at some point i told her to "COME HERE" when she had done something bad so she dosent respond to the words come or here she goes and hides cause she thinks she did something bad. Find other words to use that may help in getting him to come to you
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Of course I do fun things with him. I'm the one who walks him and does the training sessions with treats and plays fetch with him. We play inside while the kids are napping and he does really well. Problem is he's realy smart and if I'm over by his crate or within about 10 feet of his brush he wont come lol I need him to come to me anyway.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• try using a higher pitched force when calling him.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My puppy is the same way, he fears me because I am the "NO" human and he loves my mom and the kids because they just hold him and kiss him. I do play with him but I am also the bad guy in his eyes. He'll grow out of it.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2009