Would you let her take care of your baby?

My mother in law has Parkinson’s disease. She should not hold heavy stuff (she can drop them) but she holds my 22 pound baby all the time. My father in law says that all her medicines affect her brain to make right dictions. So I don't feel safe to leave the baby with her alone to baby sit for me (now or later after he grows). She tells me all the time that she can baby sit for me while we go out for dinner or... What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think that is a good idea, If you FIL is gonna be there and is able to take care of the child alone then maybe that's a thought. But, I wouldn't allow her to be alone with the Child. I would just be to sceared something may happen. How does your SO feel about it. Voice your concerns also, to her(MIL) and your SO.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Not a good idea. Just try to be polite in telling her no :( That's sad.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would tell her "I'm sorry, but I don't want to add stress to your body" then allow her to hold him seated with you there. It's sad and hard, I know. My mother-in-law passed away in Feb from a fall down the stairs. She had a rare neurological disorder that is akin to Parkinsons in some ways, but on fast track.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 11:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would let her babysit only if your FIL is going to be there to supervise closely. That's so sad, that she is unable to enjoy her grandson because of an awful disease!! Just tell her respectfully and lovingly that while you want her to enjoy her grandson, you just don't feel comfortable with her keeping him by herself, but if your FIL is going to be there, then you'll leave him there. I'm sure she would appreciate your honesty and also being able to spoil the baby too!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i wouldn't leave your child there alone. if anything happened YOU would be held responsible because you knew of the danger and still chose to leave your child there. is there anyone that can stay with both your in-law and your baby???like another relative??
    lunarlady

Answer by lunarlady at 11:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• No. I might allow it if I were confident that FIL would always be within arms reach.

My mom is 74, but has post polio syndrome and a knee replacement. I would never leave her responsible for my children; she can barely make it to the restroom on her own.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't leave q baby there but a 5 or 6 yo I would.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You don't feel safe doing it, I'm not sure why it's even a question.
    Anonymous

• I'd talk to FIL about it. If he's willing to have the primary responsibility and let his wife "babysit" I would let her. But only after discussion with FIL and being sure that he would have appropriate supervision over the babysitting.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Only if your FIL is there are all times. My dad has MS and we didn't leave my son with my dad until he was around 5 years old, not because we didn't trust my dad but because my dad wasn't comfortable with watching him when he was younger. If my son fell and got hurt my dad wouldn't have been able to pick him up. My son and dad are very close because we lived with my parents until my son was 8 yrs old. Your mom can still have a close relationshiip with the child but I would wait for her to be alone with the children.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009