Would you let her take care of your baby?

My mother in law has Parkinson’s disease. She should not hold heavy stuff (she can drop them) but she holds my 22 pound baby all the time. My father in law says that all her medicines affect her brain to make right dictions. So I don't feel safe to leave the baby with her alone to baby sit for me (now or later after he grows). She tells me all the time that she can baby sit for me while we go out for dinner or... What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i wouldn't leave my child with her, but not to be mean just to protect my kid
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That's really tough. But I don't think I would allow her. I would be worrying all the time.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 11:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• wow this is hard you don't want to hurt her feelings but want to protect your baby I would just tell her no thanks we are going to take the baby or stay at home your husband needs to back you up good luck hun

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• to make her feel better take the baby over there for a hr or two ONLY when the father in law is there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree.
    I know it hurts her feelings but you cannot put your baby in a dangerous position. What you could do is go over and tell her you have a headache - or didn't get much sleep the night before and ask if she could watch him while you rest (in the same room). That will make her feel like she is being helpful and needed like any other grandma would...and give her time with her grandchild.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I like the idea of you 'resting' or your father in law being there. You could even hire a young girl to babysit and tell your MIL that she wants to babysit but she is to young to do it alone and you don't feel comfortable leaving the girl alone. Make it like she would be doing you a HUGE favor if she would help you out that way.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That is hard, my best friends mom has parkinsons-- I know it would hurt her not to have her grandbabies over. Is your fil able to be there and help out with your child? Is there other family who could 'drop by' and visit her when baby is there?
    One thing that my neighbor did-- I was a 'mothers helper' and would be at my neighbors playing with the kids, and alot of times Grandma would be over too. It worked out well as I was able to chase the kids and get on the floor with them and she got to spend time with the kids too. That might work out well for you and your mil.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:58 AM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You could just tell her to keep the baby in a stroller, or just hold the baby on her lap, instead of carrying it around. Im sure she'd understand.
    holly082290

Answer by holly082290 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009