Wont take a bottle.

My 11 week old wont take a bottle. I Ebf since he was born. It's not really a problem or anything yet, not sure what im going to do when Dh and I want a date night but I just didnt know it was possible for a baby to refuse a bottle. It is still my breastmilk I pumped and put in the bottle. I also tried a couple different bottle nipples. Has anyone had this before? I just never knew this could happen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My babies are FF, but I have read on several different posts that if you are trying to give the bottle that your baby is likely to refuse it because he can smell that it is you and will want to nurse instead. I have read to have someone else give LO the bottle and see how that goes, but don't be in the same room or they can still smell you and will refuse. Like I say, mine are FF, but that is what I have read on other posts.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• yeah, I just discovered my 4 month old wont take a bottle... I gave him a sippy cup and he likes that! I dont know if your son is too little but it might not hurt to try, I personally have a NUBY cup but maybe someone else will have a better recomendation.
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son took a bottle occasionally at first and then refused it completely. He wouldn't take anything but me until I started a sippy between 7-8 months. He also refused the pacifier. I guess it depends on the child.
    Anonymous

• i had to let my lil one suck on me for a min then hury and switch and put the bottle in her mouth,had to do that a few times,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My baby won't take a bottle either. We tried different bottles, we've tried giving her formula instead of breastmilk in the bottle, but she hates it either way. The pediatrician said to keep trying, have someone else give it to her, leave the room, etc., but she just becomes hysterical for 15-20 minutes and since I'm a SAHM we just decided not to fight it. She's almost 4 months now and we tried it again recently, but the same thing happened, so we are letting it go. It's crazy, I never thought it would happen either!!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Are you the one offering the bottle? If so that is the issue, baby smells the fresh milk and doesn't want the crap in the bottle...why take stale cookies when theres fresh from the oven there?? KWIM?

Also if you nurse before leaving your baby can go a while with no bottle, think about babies that STTN 6-8 hours, like mine did(thanks god), theres no nursing in those hours and baby is fine, same thing here, have the bottle offered but if baby won't take it baby will be fine
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am currently working on this issue with my 2 mo old. It has helped to let someone else give him the bottle. I also found that it helps to warm the bottle thoroughly so that it is more like the temperature of breast milk when he's nursing.
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• When my older one started bottles after being exclusively breastfed, she wouldn't take a bottle from me for a long time. She would take a bottle from other people, but not from me. Try letting someone else feed the baby a bottle when you are not in the same room. Also, make sure the bottle is warmed, or possibly try pumping immediately before the bottle is to be given so it is very fresh and warm.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009