Who gets Food stamps answer anon please no bashing

My friend said loosers get food stamps I was like well I am a looser I get $129 a month she was like huh no way yall work yeah and times are bad right now I dont understand how people can be so mean .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We live in FL. We are a family of 4. According to the state we are eligible for FS until we "bring home" $2,916 combined income. We don't currently make that much; and in order to do so the kids would have to be in daycare FT which would mean that yes I could work more and push us over the income threshold; however all that extra $ would go to the daycare; so we'd really be in trouble then.

I am currently going to school PT so I can get something better lined up for us to get us off FS.

Tell your friend to grow up
    Anonymous

• It would help if we could...........but we don't!!!
    Anonymous

• hubby works and we get FS.
    Anonymous

• I do, for me and my 2 kids. I've been unable to find work since I got laid off in May 2008. I have some savings, but I was going to run out. Food stamps is helping me to still be able to pay my bills and feed my kids until I can find something.
    Anonymous

• I've been unable to find work since I got laid off in May 2008

You haven't been able to find anything-even McD's since may of 08?!!!
    Anonymous

• thanks I just wish she would understand that while no we dont like going to ask for them and having your worker look at you like you are a bum we do what we have to do so our kids can eat and no we are not bad people

Anonymous

• My hubby lost his job in Jan. Found out I was pregnant with our fourth in Feb. He gets alot of calls about his resume and people wanting to interview him, but nothing so far as to a good time. Right now he gets unemployment and works a vary part-time job. In 6 months that was all he got. He got a call from someone today about a helpdesk job, Please let something come of that! Any way for jan. to april our income tax and my late fathers insuance money got us by. Then my husband got his unemployment and shortley after found a part-time job. So ready for things to get better.
    Anonymous

• I think we might qualify and I've been really tempted to apply, but I feel bad enough getting Medicaid that we hardly ever use. So for right now we don't. If things don't improve soon then I may apply. I'm sure people will look down on me for it too. And $129 isn't that much. I don't think you're a loser for doing what you have to do to care for your family. It's a common misconception that only people who don't work get FS. Many people even with 2 incomes qualify for a little help from FS. That's because they work for min. wage.

Anonymous

• "I've been unable to find work since I got laid off in May 2008

You haven't been able to find anything-even McD's since may of 08?!!! "

I can believe it. Depending on where you live there are so many people applying for even fast food jobs that there are way too many applicants and not enough positions open. I applied for fast food when I lost my job in Nov and got a couple interviews, but was told I was overqualified... so what??? Just give me the damn job!

Anonymous

• I am going to apply soon and I am pregnant and my husband is working as hard as he can, but once this baby is born, we will need help paying for food. I dont know where this came from, that you are a loser if you get FS but its totally wrong.. oh yeah, those lowlifes who trade food stamps for drugs and use them for all the wrong reasons, those are the losers!!
    you are just taking care of your family!! =)
    yes times ARE rough..
    Anonymous