With or without their friends?

Do you really think it is necessary to have lots of friends at your kids parties..I mean it is fun and all but after it is said and done it all ends up the same I mean if I would have planned it with out their friends and only us (the family) they would just be just as happy and yes I know they will be missing out on alot of gifts. I'd rather buy them what they really want and go with it. Not to mention when you invite some people over you don't know what their finances are and then now they have to bring a gift..neh I'd rather just be here with my own kids and celebrate here at home and won't have to worry about cleaning everyone's mess and wondering what time they are leaving like this it is at my timing. Don't you agree?
Or am I being mean?

We have done this twice and it works out perfect, that is why I came up with this question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think 2 or 3 truly close friends at that age... but not the whole bloody class like some people do
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think that a party with friends is not in order every single year. Family get togethers can be just as nice. My son will be five this year and he knows that he isn't haivng any friends this time. He is okay with it though because his grandparents will be and there will be cake and presents. We may or may not do friends next year. We will have to see.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We don't have birthday parties for our kids and they have never complained. Not even my oldest daughter who has been to huge big blow outs for her best friend (with 30+ kids, tons of gifts, games, cake and ice cream, etc). She just turned 9 a couple weeks ago. She got up, made herself breakfast as usual. At lunch we went to Red Robin and then she went to Target and got to pick out one outfit for her birthday. Then we went home because she threw a fit because we wouldn't let her spend $20 on a silly vest that she would never wear. She also got a candy bar.
    At home she got to sit around and do no chores. She didn't even get her cupcakes until the next day because they weren't done before bed. She didn't whine. They spent the evening catching lightening bugs with their friends outside (neighbor kids). She has better birthdays then the other kids because it's summer, it's always cold for the other kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I let my kids pick the guest list. It's their birthday party.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son went to a birthday party when he was 7 that involved his whole class. He called me early to come and get him because he was not having a good time. He said there was too many kids and he wasn't able to spend time with the birthday boy. I know everyone thinks that the party is about the birthday child, but perhaps it is also about the other children enjoying themselves, too. My son, remembering this experience, for his 8th birthday only invited one child. He said he would rather have one friend and no presents than many friends and many presents.
    bordprson

Answer by bordprson at 4:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son had more fun at the party at the park that was 5 kids than he did at the bowling alley that had like 15-20 kids. I had more fun at the park too. These are the two parties that he has been invited to that stick out in my head, because they are the most memorable. Because of that, he generally invites about 3-4 kids.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We had big birthday parties for the first few years with our kids. We happen to have a large group of friends and if I invite 15 kids to a party....all 15 kids and their parents come. This year I was done with that! We only had family over and 2 best friends, that's it. Both parties (for both kids) turned out great. This is what we will be doing from now on.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009