Do your piercings/tattoos prevent you from getting a job or promotion?

And if so, is it worth making less to be able to "express yourself"?
If you have lots of body art, what kind of job do you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was in HR for many years, and yes, tatoos and piercings can keep you from getting hired at many companies. So can grey hair.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• nope, i have 7 tattoos and blue hair and my tongue pierced. I have had the same job for 7 years. If I were in the job market i have no tattoos and all of them are under clothes so i can "pass" lol.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 12:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• oh yaeh and Iwork in an office
    lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• No, I have never had an issue getting a job because of my "body art"... I was always very reasonable in placement and made sure everything was able to be easily covered. I do have my tounge pierced but I've never seen a place that had issues with that. If they did, I could always take it out for work.

Now, It doesn't matter, I work for me, and I don't care what I look like! lol! I have my own businesses that I work from home, so it doesn't matter, but I have always been very careful in where I place everything.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I use to have a septum ring, and i couldnt get a job anywhere. Not even working at a store like spencers that sells body jewelry... not to mention sex toys! lol. I dont see how having a ring hanging out of your nose makes you a lesser employee. Well anyways i had it for 3 years and then after a drunken night of crazy partying, i woke up and it was gone, the hole closed up and i couldnt get another ring through, it SUCKED, but a couple months later i got a job! lol.
    holly082290

Answer by holly082290 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We own some businessses at the mall. We will not hire anyone with piercings and definitely not visible tattoos.
    Anonymous

• I have my nose and tongue pierced and several tattoos. I have never had a hard time finding a job although almost every job I have had has been in a nightclub. I am going to school to be an esthetician and will probably have to take my piercings out to get a job. All of my tattoos can be covered.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009