How do I get my 1 and 1/2 year old to stop throwing tantrums?

My daughter is one and a half, and she throws huge fits when she doesnt want something done or doesnt want to do something. ( ex: getting out of the bath, and getting her diaper changed, also when she doesnt want to eat her food)

I dont know what to do to get her to stop acting out. Im not sure if she is too young to put in time out, and this is my first child. Ive never done this before! lol.

Also, she intentionally does things she knows she isnt supposed to. I know that she know she isnt supposed to, but she looks to make sure Im not looking, and does it anyway.

Im just not sure how to go about taking care of this. please help?
Thankyou!!

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 12:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We've been putting our kids in timeout since 10 months old. My son is just over 2 years of age and we put him in a corner away from everyone and toys, he faces the wall for 2 minutes. Boy that 2 minutes seems like forever to him, when he gets out he says sorry. At first it was hard he would try and get up, but you just pick them up and put them right back into time out without saying anything and you restart the timer. We bought a timer and he knows when he hears it buzz his time out is over but if he gets out or turns around we restart it. You only say timeout once and if they get out or throw a fit you just put them right back in time out and don't say anything.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son is 20 months old and seems to be doing the same thing. he'll throw the diaper changing fits, hit me and kick me while I try to change him - I DO put him in time out and as soon as he gets out he runs right over to me or his dad and hits or kicks us again - we could and have played thjis game for hours trying to make sure he knows time outs are for naughty behavior but I don't know what to do either. He used to love baths too and now he throws such monster fits that I can't even wash his hair correctly and now his head is itching - Literally I am holding him and his dad is holding him and we are trying to wash his hair - he has food allergies that leads to very dry itchy scalp so Its not like I can't wash it either - I don't know what to do.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Scheduales are a good. Dont get to strickt though or it will get boring with both you and the child but make sure its regular and has plenty of fun activites in it. Ex of my DD's schedual: 7 wake up,change clothes 7:30-8:30 Breakfast 8:30 Clean up 9-10 TV time 10-11 Play time 11-12 Lunch time 12 clean up 12:30-1 TV time 1-3 Nap 3 Wake up, change clothes 3:30-5 Play time OR movie time 5-7 free time (usually out of the house time) 8-8:30 Bath time 9 Bed. Once we got on that schedual pretty regularly theres almost never a tantrum. We've also starting trying out "good job" charts. Try explaining if they do the good thing (i.e. not throwing a tantrum in public/ after bath/ at nap ect.) they get a sticker. Once they get enough stickers (i.e. 5/ 10 ect.) they get a treat. But if they dont follow the chart the lose a sticker and get a punishment (i.e. no treat/ time out/ quiet time in the room ect). GOOD LUCK!!
    belljaz

Answer by belljaz at 12:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Welcome to toddlerhood! LOL Time-out is a good idea- though it's more getting their attention than the actual time. If you get her attention and then tell her she's going to stay in time out until you say she's done and she stays in the time out chair/corner, even for 10 seconds, it's a start. You've stopped the bad behavior just by taking her away from the situation. I'd also suggest completely ignoring what she's doing - unless she's damaging herself/others, let her flip out until she's done. I always ask, "Are you done?" and sometimes she had a tantrum longer, but that's ok. I just stand there and let her scream it out until she's tired of it and knows she won't get her way. Remember, YOU are the adult, and children will try to get away with anything they can. She is testing her boundaries right now- you set them, not her. I hope that helps.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 1:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I just let my throw her fit and ignored her ANNOYING screams but after a while she just stopped realizing it wasn't getting her the attention she was shotting for. GOOD LUCK
    trinrisa

Answer by trinrisa at 2:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i was also going to sY IT COMES WITH THE AGE AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT BY THIS AGE MOST KIDS KNOW HOW oops sorry... to manipulate us adults... time outs are good a great trick i learned is thatyou don't put them in bed but rather have a pack n play , so they don't associate it with bedtime ummm keep her busy, redirect her naught attention something loud always gets my kids so like mine if they are climbing the bookshelve and i'm trying to cook instead of saying there names 15 times and threatening timeout s i grab pots and pans bathtime much the same i give them cups to transfer water just in generall when you see the fustration coming on use your words explaining why not and redirect if she still throws a fit i think she's saying she needs a break also as a mom stay strong, and also if she rhrows herself down walking away helps she'll get back up... good luck enjoy toddlerhood
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009