Baby #2 on the way - any advice?

Hello All,

I have baby number 2 on the way..due in November. My first will be 19 mo. Anyone have any valuable insight on how to manage a newborn and a toddler? I have all sorts of scenarios running through my head...Toddler 'giving' baby a book/toy/etc. Sleeping...how do you do that with two? You can't sleep when the newborn sleeps...not if the toddler is up. If anyone has kids about this far apart...I welcome your advice! Thanks.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My two youngest are 15 months apart. You'll manage, and it won't be nearly as bad as you are imagining. I honestly found being pregnant and having a toddler to be much more difficult than having a baby and a toddler. It is harder to sleep when the baby sleeps, but the sooner you manage to get them on the same schedule, the sooner you can nap with them during the day if you want. You do have to supervise your toddler carefully with the baby and don't leave them alone together. We did a lot of practicing before hand with her baby dolls about how to take care of a baby and how to handle a baby gently and what to do/not to do with little babies.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• it's summer. find a bored young energetic teen/tween to tire the 19 month old out. Take any/all offers of help. Stock up on as many diapers now as u can afford. See if u can grocery shop online. Goto store before delivery and buy extra socks and towels so you're doing less laundry. Have 19 month old help you, alot. Put diapers, wipes, onesies at their level so they can fetch things
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my son and daughter are 19 months apart TO THE DAY. When your new baby is about 6 months your life will become amazing. They'll eat cheerios together, play on the floor together, make each other laugh. Perhaps they'll potty train together (mine did) and things like that. By about 6-8 mos it'll feel more like twins and less like a nightmare
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• also take advantage of anything free or close to free where u can sit and cuddle with baby and rest while 19 month old is entertained/busied/being tired out for a good nap. story time at library, open gym, indoor playgyms or play areas at the mall, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• when I would put the baby down for a nap, I would put in a movie for my 3 year old and take a nap in my chair and kinda keep but listen making sure my 3 year old wasnt getting into any trouble.
    I tried and explaine to my 3 year old that everything is going to change when that baby was born.
    when we seen a baby at the store I told him he will have a baby brother to that will be that little and will reqire a lot of my attention, but it don't mean I will love him more.
    It just all depends how your boy will adjust my really big advice is just give him a lot of attention I know it's hard when you have an infant, hope all this makes sense and good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My son was 13 months old when my daughter was born and I had to take care of them all by myself. It is hard.. But, I did it. I just made sure that I didn't push my son away when I had the baby. If he wanted to help with my daughter I would let him. Feed her or try to give her a blanket ect. But I made sure he knew that he was still loved and my number 1 since she was there. It ended up getting easy for me cause my son would nap and my daughter would nap as well. So, I got things done when they napped. Good luck to you. But just don't push your 19 month old away when you have the new baby.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..I know your fear lol! My daughter was born jan 2007 and then i went and had a baby jan 2009 :/ My husband deployed last week and let me tell you..SHOPPING is not fun lol..I cant get much and my baby doesn't like the front carrier...UGH its been crazy..I put a TV in my toddlers room just so I can beable to get things done around the house and I also gave her crayons..She is now sooo creative with walls lol..BUT they are washable. I also just ordered Chalk paint to paint some things in her room so she can color. ANYTHING to help me lol...

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009