Have any of you breast pumped STRICKLY?

I have a cracked nipple on my left side and it's extremely painful! I've been pumping that side and get about 2oz's, if not more, out. I will still let her nurse on the right side but noticed a crack forming in it as well. Ouch!

tiffanyderr10

Asked by tiffanyderr10 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• rub your own milk on it. that will help. also call the hospital that you gave birth in and they will get you a safe ointment to put on that's safe for baby. I breast fed 3 of my 5 kids so i can help you with whatever.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 12:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I mainly pumped. I just breast fed at nighttime. I pumped every 2 to 4 hours during the day and I had enough. I only did for three months. My sil did only pump and for 7months. She tried to breast feed but it was too painful and she was always bleeding. Pumping worked well for her. She was able to pump enough and didn't supplement with formula until she switched completely over.
    Anonymous

• I still the hospital grade Lanolin for dry cracked heels!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Put some of your milk on it and let it air dry. You can also get some lanolin cream to put on it to help it heal. It is safe for baby so there's no need to wash it off before feeding or pumping. Exclusively pumping is MUCH harder than nursing. You have to pump about every two hours around the clock to keep up your supply and it will still slow down at times because the pump is not as good as your baby at getting the milk out. Good luck. Your nipple will heal, just give it time.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I exclusively pumped for 10 months. It sucked but was worth it. I agree with jenree- put lanolin on it. Also, air the 'girls' out as much as you can, and be sure that they are dry after pumping/nursing.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• i strictly breastfeed unless i need a sitter (rarely) then i pump... ill pump MAYBE once a month. but yes i strictly....breastfeed
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You should seek out the help of your local La Leche League www.llli.org if your breast are cracking there is something wrong, maybe the position in which your bfing, the latching etc...

Some woman CAN strictly pump but most can't not (it's not a physical thing but do to other factures) 1. the sort of pump you have (if ur going to strictly pump a hospital grade pump would be the best for your comfort and time), the dedication you have to pumping, you have to sit & pump every time you would have to breastfeed. If your going to be dedicated to it, it can definitly work.

Best Wishes.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Get some Lanolin cream pronto!! That stuff works wonders for cracked nipples. The name brand is Lansinoh, but the store brand is is exactly the same stuff. You can get a big tube of it at any drug store or Wal-mart. Are you letting your breasts air dry after nursing for a bit? Sometimes if you don't do that, your nipples will crack. Also, make sure the baby is latched properly. A poor latch can cause nipple cracking too.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thank you for all of your fast responses! Some great advice and I look forward to trying to continue breastfeeding but will continue to pump to keep a supply just in case. Pumping my right side hasn't been going as well, it doesn't seem to have enough coming out, but she IS still nursing on that side. I haven't really let my breasts air dry so will need to try and do that to aid in helping my cracked nipple(s)! Also, she's been taking a pacifier (SOOTHIE brand and the same 1's they use in hospital's) for the past 2 or 3 days. I didn't really want her to in case of any nipple confusion. She's still latching on but starts acting like she's hungry but doesn't want to latch on anymore. I'll try giving her the pacifier and she starts "hunting" for it and acting like she's trying to latch on but won't. Does this sound like the start of nipple confusion to anyone?
    tiffanyderr10

Answer by tiffanyderr10 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Both of mine had binkies and took bottles from my husband ( usually about once or twice a week) and never had a problem with going back to nursing. They were introduced to the bottle and binky when they were less than a week old and it was always fine. They realize pretty quick that the binky is empty, and can tell the difference between a binky and a boob. The binky was a lifesaver when they just wanted to suck but weren't hungry, especially at night and when they were teething.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009