do you think it is wrong to have

your child run laps in your back yard ( open space community) as a form of disiplin?

I think it turns a negative into a positive (exercise) and gets them out doors.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it would be fine, cm members always find something wrong with what other parents do. I would not even ask for advice on parenting issues on cm. I agree with anon, no one like to exercise, and I think it is better than spanking or other things parents do as a form of discipline.

Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yes...because it can cause them to view exercise as a form of punishment...it's the same concept as NOT using their bedrooms for timeouts...b/c then their rooms are viewed as a punishment and bedtime becomes difficult.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure I would say it was wrong. However, you may be turning exercise into a negative for them. They may end up associating exercise as a punishment. Not sure that in the long run is a good association to have with exercise.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 12:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• it would make me feel nervous they'd hate exercise then. it should be a fun positive thing
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It does make exercise a punishment, and this could influence the child's health in the future when they would know they should exercise, but deep down they feel it is a punishment, something to be avoided. I had undiagnosed asthma as a child, and running hurt. I still think this may be why I have trouble making myself exercise, although I do because I am in a class and so must. But I don't have good feelings associated with exercise.

Answer by Bmat at 12:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I wuld think that it would make my children hate to exercise.And that is the last thing i would want to do. But also I wouldn't do that b/c its like 100 here.so she might pass out
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Most people think exercise is punishment anyway, very few people really like to exercise...but we do it anyway cause it's a healthy life style.

Also, for parents who ground there children usually put them in there room so damn if you do and damned if you don't!
    Anonymous

• I like this idea, I seen it on trading spouses and the kids loved to play sports because they were physically fit, but if they did something wrong at home then they had to do push-ups and run laps. They said it was sometimes difficult but at least it helped them out when it came to sports. Thats what they do in sports, when I was late to softball practice I had to run laps in a certain amount of time or else I had to do them all over again. I always returned to practice and so did everyone else, so if we didn't take it as a punishment then I don't think anyone else will.
    Anonymous

• one could also say it turns a positive (exercise) into a negative (punishment).....I feel uneasy about it in general. What are the kids being punished for? I tend to think the punishment should be a more natural consequence of the behavior.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Anon 10:00 . . . Exercise doesn't have to be something people see as a punishment. We all have a chance to instill healthier lifestyles in our children. One way is by making exercise something fun to do. Give them that attitude now and they will take that into adulthood with them.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 1:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009