Nursing questions

When you nurse baby in bed at night, do you give baby both breasts or just one? Do you wake him up to burp?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest nursed on both sides but my second didn't. It all depends on the baby. Neither is right or wrong. I never woke my baby to burp. I only burped when he showed that he needed it.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That is going to be a trial and error thing for you and what works best for your baby. I would nurse on both boobs and yes, I'd wake baby up to burp and go back on the breast....mostly because I didn't want the feeding to turn into a "help me get back to sleep thing"...if you're going to wake up in the middle of the night, then you're going to have a good meal so you'll sleep longer before wanting to eat again. (My daughter slept 6 hours at night by 6 weeks and 11 hours by 8 weeks). As for waking up to burp...in the early weeks you're in survival mode...if you really need to get back to sleep...then put baby down and hope for the best. However, as baby gets a little older, having a burp in their belly will wake them up (they will be uncomfortable) anyway...so you're best to just get the burp out before you put them down. Plus, it gets them in the habit early of being put down awake....excellent habit to get into.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I give him both, but that was the hardest position for me to master for some reason so I didn't really do it when he was little enough to need burping. I don't know why I just couldn't figure out a comfortable way to lay when he was little. We do it down and it's easier because he is helping (11 months old).

I wouldn't wake him to burp in your case though, unless the baby spits up a lot. I didn't really burp my son much at all. I don't think it's as necessary with breast feeding because there is no air rushing down their throats.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My children would nurse the same as they had done all day long. One breast for 20 minutes.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my dd usually only takes 1 breast per feeding and it's the same at night. I don't wake up to burp her, she almost never needs to be burped...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It depends. Sometimes he nurses on one side and seems satisfied so I burp him and put him back down to sleep. Other times he wants to nurse on both sides so I do.

I always burp him because when he doesn't get burped right away he will get upset and then whent he burp ends up coming out on it's own he also spits up a tiny bit. I terrified he'll choke in his sleep if I don't burp him before putting him back down.
    Anonymous