What would cause bruising like this?

I have recently noticed several small bruises on my legs (upper and lower). I have not knocked them into anything lately. Any ideas as to what could cause my legs to bruise so easily?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Health

• A blood disease could be one reason. I've been tested for them so I know that is one of the signs. Also, leukemia. Those are pretty serious things and there may be other reasons. But to be safe I would see a doctor and tell them what is happening. Good luck!
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Bruising is a normal response to trauma. If you have bruises that you can't explain and can't recall bumping into anything ect. you need to go to the doctor for a blood test.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/bruising.htm
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• low iron was my problem. a simple blood test from your dr can help figure it out.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• maybe you are anemic. i am, i have a bruise somewhere on me all the time.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Could be anything from anemia to a vascular problem. I had spontaneous bruising on my legs some years ago (they were big ones, the size of baseballs - and I didn't know they were spontaneous until one day I noticed this tingly, itchy, weird feeling on my leg - I sat in a chair and watched the bruise form - took about 5 minutes to completely form) I'd been having them for about a year and my husband (now my ex) told me that I just bruised easily, so did the doctors. But they were rarely sore like a bumped bruise. After I witnessed the bruise appearing out of thin air - I went to a dermatologist - who sent me straight to an Oncologist, who tested me for everything under his specialty, then sent me to Neurologist who didn't find anything - but then a year later I had a stroke and they found a mass (called an AVM) in my brain. I was bleeding into my brain AND I it was causing some kind of restriction that caused the bruises.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Blood thinners can also be a culprit...ibuprofen or another NSAD
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It could be something serious. You should go to the doctor and get it checked out. My cousin had something like that, it started out she had a couple unexplained bruises, then she started getting them all over her body, she ended up having something wrong with her blood, and ended staying in the hospital for a week, with all these tubes in her, it was awful. The sooner you do something about it the better, it could be nothing, but it could be serious too, and if it is you shouldnt wait.
    holly082290

Answer by holly082290 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Go to the Dr. and get tested for all the things the other women told you about but also mention to your dr you want to be tested for something called eller danlose syndrome ( i am not sure about the spelling) My aunts have it and they bruise from being touched lightly if you have a problem like this go to the dr and mention this disease because it is one that most doctors dont know about because its a relatively new diagnosis. I am not saying you have this for sure but my aunts were diagnosed with anemia and iron efficacious for years b4 they realized they had this disease. My one cousin can sneeze and the blood vessels in her eyes will pop its scary but good luck.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I get them all the time. I have low iron, I also take medication that gives me bruises.
    rockermom29

Answer by rockermom29 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The women in my family are prone to anemia, and my period just ended, so that could explain it.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2009