Three week old sleeping through the night?

my son is almost three weeks old and he slept for ten hours last night. i know babies arent supposed to sleep through the night until they weigh 10-12 pounds, and he doesnt weigh more than nine. he eats well, and when hes awake hes really awake he doesnt seem out of it or anything, im just not sure what to think. he was a late baby and a big baby 8 lb 7 oz but it still worries me.

littlemomma899

Asked by littlemomma899 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lucky you! I wouldn't worry about it unless something else seems wrong. If you're concerned, call your doctor or wake him up to feed him.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my daughter was 8lbs 7 oz too, and her pediatrician told me to let her sleep when she needs to sleep dont wake her, shell wake up if she is hungry. if it goes more than 10 hours to wake her though. She also was sleeping through the night from the get-go.

shes now almost 5 months and really healthy big baby still with a great appetite.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• He should be fine. It's probably just a phase anyway (but lets hope not! LOL!) my daughter slept through the night at first and I just breastfed her whenever she wanted....she was 8lbs 12oz and never got any smaller, she's still as chunky as can be....unfortunately now she's teething so one sleepless night after another for me these days....enjoy it while you can and don't worry unless he isn't meeting his growth marks.
    guam_mama

Answer by guam_mama at 1:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Who told you they weren't "supposed" to sleep through the night until a certain weight?? I've never heard that. Every doctor I've ever talked to says if they are asleep, let them sleep. It's just not common for a baby that young to sleep through the night, but it's nothing to be concerned with. Babies && children need more sleep because they are growing. Be happy that you aren't having to get up every 2-3 hours to feed.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My DD slept through the night at that age. As long as baby is alert when awake and isn't showing signs of jaundice or other medical problems, then you are just lucky!!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• my dd was 8-7 also and she's 7 weeks old now and has slept through night - most nights - since about that age. I agree - he'll wake up if he's hungry. My doc said to let my dd sleep and enjoy it!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My oldest slept through the night at 3 weeks too and it worried me at first, but he ate a lot during the day, he continued to gain weight at a good rate, and I loved getting the sleep lol! The dr was okay with it, nothing bad about it unless he starts losing weight from not having a night meal.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• One time doesn't mean anything, lol. The big thing to watch regardless of how long baby sleeps at night is how much/often he's eating and how many wet diapers he has. As long as he's getting enough to eat (best way to tell is the diapers) and he's not acting oddly (abnormally lethargic, fussy, etc.), then let him sleep.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• That whole business about babies not sleeping through the night until they reach a certain weight is crazy IMO!! Some babies sleep through the night from day one, some still don't sleep through the night even when they're 18 pounds. Mine didn't sleep through the night until 2-3 months, and that was because I followed "Babywise" getting them on a good eating/sleeping flexible routine. I forget the numbers, but as long as your baby has enough wet and poopy diapers, he's getting enough!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Babies sleep all night when they are ready to. As long as he isn't ill, he's fine. Count your blessings and let sleeping babies sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009