What is Calvary chapel How different is it from a charasmatic Christian church?

Im trying to figure out wether its denominational or not? ...and the difference?
Thank you :)

aMbeR012005

Asked by aMbeR012005 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You'd have to call them and ask. We have four "Calvary Chapels" within ten miles of us, and they aren't affiliated with each other. One is a baptist church, one is Assemblies of God, and two are non-denominational. One of those is pentecostal, the other is "general Christian." The actual name of a church can mean absolutely nothing with regards to it's denominational affiliations, or what they believe.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 1:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• As far as I knew, Calvary's were non-denominational. All the ones in my town are.

http://www.calvarychapel.com/?page=churches

It says right at the top of that page that they are non-denominational. BTW, I love Calvary.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Im just wondering if theres a difference?
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I dont know which Calvary Chapel you are speaking of. The one here in the Atl area is non denom and is a charismatic church. MOST non denoms are. I wont say all of course, because there might be one thats not, but most of them are. Most Assemblies of God are Charismatic and most Church of Gods are charismatic. I just prefer the nondenom label since its kinda broad. To know if a church is charismatic or not....you just gotta go visit. Youll find out rather quickly....LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I go to a Calvary Chapel. We are non-denominational. We teach through the Bible. We are not charismatic. We believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but we believe that they should be practiced in an orderly way, not in the main service.

Our emphasis is on teaching the Bible. We go word for word through the Bible and look at each passage in depth. We believe that worship should be inspirational, and that we should share our faith with knowledge.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

I really like the Calvary Chapel movement. I agree with the theology 100% and I have a great amount of respect for the leaders. (It is not a denomonation, but an association of churches). One of them things that is great about them is they have a very laid back, welcoming atmosphere. You just wear jeans and t-shirts. But you bring your Bible and you take notes in it the whole time. I love my church.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• My aunt and uncle go to the one in Chino Valley and they LOVE it!
    IzzyJ

Answer by IzzyJ at 5:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I go to Calvery Chapel too! It is non denominational. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WaitingSarah

Answer by WaitingSarah at 1:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009