Breast feeding and solids combo for a one year old...am i doing good??

He eats some solids but he isn't that interested in them. for Breakfast I give him a half a banana and a few kix cereal. He usually eats half of the half banana (if that makes sense) and a few pieces of kix. however this morning he only ate three bites from the banana and two bites of my waffle. for snack he usually has some organic seseme street crackers that are good in vitamens and usually a boob. then he goes down for a nap. after the nap he plays a little then gets lunch. for luch he gets a bowl of spagetti o's or a chichen strip, or one of those little tubs from gerber for toddlers meals, which all i listed he only eats partial amounts of it. then he plays and for snack gets a boob. then we go for a walk and after he gets a stage 2 jar of a veggie which he does eat the whole thing. Then he gets a bath then a boob then bed. during the night he wakes up about every two hours and gets two boobs at each waking. am i doin ok

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "encourage more solids at night. That would help him hold off until morning"

This is actually not a good idea. Food causes the blood sugar to rise and then drop which will cause baby to wake sooner because he's hungry. My 18 month old has eaten right before bed and hours before and he has always woken up several times to nurse. You can not "make" a baby sleep longer. He will sleep when HE is ready.

OP, I think you are doing everything fine. Feed your baby when he is hungry and nurse when he wants to nurse. There are days that my 18 month old doesn't eat much and others when he seems to be a bottomless pit. That's normal for toddlers.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 5:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• He turned one on the 11th of July
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sounds similar to my daughter who is 16 months old. So it sounds like you're doing great to me. I make sure I offer food first because she isn't very interested in it, then once she eats what she will if she wants to nurse I let her.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 1:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sounds great to me! The only thing I would do differently is encourage more solids at night. That would help him hold off until morning. My daughter (9 months) is eating a TON of solids for dinner and sometimes before bed. I am working on getting her to sleep through the night again. Hubby got up with her last night (otherwise she won't settle down, she knows I have what she wants)! She slept without eating last night!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't know about the combinations, but since breastmilk is so healthy should be fine. My daughter at 1 was eating about half the gerbers but was on whole milk. She snacked a lot and during her growth spurts would eat a full gerber meal then went back to half. Now at 2 year eats 2/3 of a meal and still snacks all the time. I bet you're exausted for so many night feeds though. My concern would be him getting up so frequently. Maybe he needs more either food or boob during the day or is just going through a spurt.
    Anonymous

• My baby(turns 1 in two days!!) eats about the same amount of food as yours does. He also nurses about as often. He likes to eat Cheerios for breakfast(dry). I read that a toddler should eat 6 small meals a day. I think that's what happens naturally...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 7:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009