How do you keep someone from bringing out the worst in you?

Any tricks on keeping your composure when you're around someone who gets under your skin?

(I put this under relationships but it's not about my husband or anything like that, it's about my relationship w/ my mother)

guam_mama

Asked by guam_mama at 1:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• 1) stay away from her 2) quit taking what she says to heart. If she's saying hurtful things then she's trying to make you feel bad, like a bully. Ignore her. Tell her you will not listen to her bs anymore. Hang up or walk away when she does it. She'll stop when she sees it's not fun anymore. She gets a charge out of it when she can push your buttons. Take charge of your life and say "no more".

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The best revenge is living well, don't let them know that they have any effect on you!!!

JULIAN01

Answer by JULIAN01 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• ignore her. eventually she will will get it...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 1:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Even if it bothers you don't show it smile it off no matter how you feel inside.
    And my mom always told me when people are rude or mean to you don't be rude back just kill them with kindness, for every rude remark say something nice back even if it's hard just try it
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree with Julian01. My DH's (ex) stepmother had this way of pissing me off like no one could. At first I showed signs of being visibly bothered. But I quickly learned that if I ignored her comments that it bothered HER more than it did me! lol So she would make her catty remarks, I'd let them roll off me and the more I did it the easier it got! Now we have a relationship with my MIL (his bio mom) and she's mean spirited, and it really makes her mad she can't get to me! Well, she thinks that any way! lol

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009