whats a good age to potty train a child?

mjsmom09

Asked by mjsmom09 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Most people now days says between 2 or 3 years old...but I say between 1 and 11/2years old. As soon as they start walking good..Start putting them on the toilet..they will understand..Kids are smart.

Answer by louise2 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• As soon as you get it usually 8 weeks. You need to start training them asap!
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• depends on the kiddo- my only advice- do NOT give up!!! I tried potty training my son and gave up and it just took longer and was harder- I waited until he was 3 and he got both pee and poop training down in about 2 weeks. (w/o many accidents) Please note- he still has about 1 accident a week- if that...
    Anonymous

• When they are ready. When your child starts showing signs that they are ready then it is time to let them start. My daughter recently started telling men when she wanted her diaper changed and that was her sign. We are working on it, but I am in no rush.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If a child is having accidents, they aren't "trained"
    Anonymous

• there's no special age. when they show signs or readiness and can communicate well enough to tell you they need to potty.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• im waiting until my son can talk, hes 2 1/2, so hopefully start by the time he is 3.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Every single child is different and there is no magic age that's easier than another. I personally avoid the terrible two-year-old stage though. They need bladder control and many have that at 18 months. The popular three-day method says the ideal time to try is at 18 months. I agree with trying at 18 months, but not getting stressed if it doesn't work that early. I waited until my son started holding it and keeping his diapers dry for 2-3 hours and then flooding them. He was 19 1/2 months and was in regular underwear using a potty on his own at home without regular accidents in about one week. He was also NON VERBAL for those who keep saying they must be able to tell you about it. If nothing else, it introduces the concept and plants a seed in their mind. You never know after that when it will click and they'll be ready. Most typical children are potty trained by three or four years old.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It's not age based.
    The best age is when YOU have the time and patience to do it. 30+ years ago, that meant sometime before the child turned 2. Now, it frequently means sometime after the child leaves the subborn toddler years behind.

Evaluate your child. Can YOU spot when he needs to go? Can he go a couple of hours with a dry diaper? Is there a pattern to when he poops? Are YOU rested and ready for the challenge? Any large disruptions in your future - new babies, new pets, overnight guests, trips, moves?

If you think it's time, then go for it. It doesn't matter if he's 14 months or 34 months. Take it slow, take the responsiblity of getting him to the potty before it's too late, minimize any accidents, celebrate successes - he'll get there when he's ready, no matter when you start.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• And I agree with DeTora_Family... the child does not need to be able to talk at all. Most kids will happily tell you they need to go in the initial phase of training. It's new and fun, they get lots of attention and sometimes treats. But as the days turn into weeks turn into months, they stop telling. They learn that telling you they need to go or honestly answering "yes" when you ask means they must put down their toys and walk away from their play to go sit in the boring bathroom. So they don't tell or they tell you what they wish was true when you foolishly ask.

Don't ask. Don't wait for him to tell. Put your child on some sort of schedule and make sure he gets to the potty. HELP him be a big kid. Remember that "I forgot to go" or "I was busy" accidents are common for years, even into grade school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009