does a 9 month old need water or juice?

should i give him water or juice? Ive heard its not good for them untill they are 1 but now im reading somethings that say differently

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not bad for them, it's just not necessary.
    Anonymous

• I don't give juice at all. At 9 months my babies that were on formula were taking a cup of water a day. My breastfed one no. Now at 18 months she drinks 3-4 cups of water a day, and 1-2 of milk.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• They don't need it but it's always fun to have as a treat (the juice). Mine always got water in their cup with their meals from about 6 months on. Only formula in their bottles and every once in awhile they got watered down juice or some milk as a treat. It was never a daily thing for them and still isn't (they are all older now and we rarely have juice in the house).
    They always had a cup of water near by, though, because babies get thirsty, too. All of mine could drink from a sippy at 9 months with no help so I would just fill it up and leave it where they could reach it. They drank when they were thirsty.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't give juice unless my daughter is having trouble passing bowels. I only gave water before she stopped drinking formula a couple ounces at a time, in the middle of the day during the summer. Now, she drinks water non stop. Generally, formula or breastmilk are enough to hydrate the little ones. If it is exceptionally hot where you are though, it definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to give a bit of water during the peak heat. Not bad, but in most cases, not necessary.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I started giving my kids water at 2 months old, I would give them 2oz. in between feedings, at 8 months they would get baby juice with their food. Do you like to eat without something to drink, no so don't do it to them either. If your baby is eating food(baby food) then you can give them water and juice. If not juice give them water, just fill thier sippy up with water.
    Anonymous

• My 18 month old has never had juice. It is just sugar and empty calories. He had a bottle or sippy with water to play with around 7-9 months old but never really got anything until about 11-12 months. Breastmilk and formula have all the water that babies need.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I give my daughter juice almost every day but its diluted with water. She is 9.5 months old.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You don't ever have to give juice. I asked my pedi about it because I told her I didnt want to give my 6 month old daughter juice, she said that its not a problem at all and its actually better to wait until they are old enough to ask for it. So thats what I'm doing.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009