How do I change my son's last name?

Let me begin by saying he was born in Cook County, IL but we live in Montgomery county, TN. He was born June 2007, I put his bio father's last name thinking that will help him be a part of his life. I was wrong. Now I am married to a better man and have to live with him having the last name of a man who wants nothing to do with him and wouldn't even sign the birth certificate. I don't want him to have that name, I rather put that in the past and have him have my married name. I just had another baby and I want us all to have the same last name. How do I do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• You will have to petition the courts and need permission from the father.

Anonymous

• Ask the father to sign over his rights. If he wants nothing to do with him I doubt he pays child support. Tell him signing his rights away will get him out of all that. Then you can either just go to court and ask for a name change or your new hubby can adopt him and have his name changed.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Petition the courts to have his name changed, it can cost up to $500, if not more. You can also have biodad sign his rights away and your current husband adopt your son. This is the exact reason my son has my last name, there was no other option...I gave his father NO choice. I knew he wouldn't be around and I would be raising my son alone and that is exactly what happened.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Yep I had to have my sons bio dad sign over his rights and give a name change permission. It cost a bit but was well worth it.
    Anonymous

• The biological father will have to sign off on his rights before you can change the name.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• He doesn't have to sign off on his rights, but he would have to give permission to the name change....or if he doesn't reply by a certain amount of time...as long as you go through the courts his name can be changed without his permission.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009