If you've ever been sexually assaulted... or know about symptoms

...wondering what the physical symptoms/aftereffects are of being raped vaginally AND anally? These are symptoms I've had: rectal discomfort/sharp pains; occasional abdominal pain; skipped monthly, then had one very light but 6 weeks late; rectal blood-tinged mucus discharge w/ foul smell

...and wondering if this is from the assault or might be another physical issue that was pre-existing. Prev cond, pre-existing for almost a year: IBS-type symptoms (eat, cramps, run to bathrm!); also diagnosed w/ ulcers and hiatle hernia at age 14 (age 37 now)

Scheduled for CT scans and colonoscopy this week and next along w/ bloodwork, so no worries about that. Just hard to know what symptoms are from what and how much to tell doc (about assault/safety issue).

Sorry for TMI/gross descript. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Health

• I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to wish you good luck!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Good luck, but I think that you should tell the doctor. As embarrassing as it could be-you should tell the doctor, so that they could look into all possibilities.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 2:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• you need to tell your Dr- because of safety. It COULD be from rape- and the more that they know the better. It is never TMI with a DR :) saying prayers for you because it is SO much more than the physical.
    Anonymous

• Thank you very much!!

And just in case anyone is wanting to know, I'm not asking about legal things ...such as whether this was reported. I am seriously thinking to talk to my doc and my counselor about this. Thanks!
    Anonymous

• There could be any number of reasons why your new symptoms have popped up. It could be from the assault, it could be stress, it could be a worsening or changing of your previous conditions. Your doctor will want to know everything about your past experiences, even the painful ones. You should tell him as much as you are able to. It will be hard, but speaking now could really help in the long run if there is something that needs to done medically to help you heal physically. Good luck and I am so sorry that you are suffering through this.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thanks, ladies... I really appreciate your help. I'm hoping also that someone with similar personal experience might chime in... as hard as it is to think someone else going thru this. It would help. I appreciate your prayers - VERY MUCH, to you who said you are praying! I am a believer and praying person as well, and I do appreciate that!!

Another related but lesser symptom was/is all-over general achiness (sad aching that is also physical??) right after for a few days or so, and still occasionally just if I think about it much.
    Anonymous

• Hey sweetie I know it sucks but it's best to tell the dr. about all of it. And a great website you may want to refer to on the aftershock of everything would be RAINN.org, which is phenomenal, if you aren't familiar with it.
    The degree of injury due to an assault varies for each SURVIVOR. As violent as an attack may be, there may be no physical injury beyond bruising, while someone else may have quite more injury. This is why it is so important to tell your dr. about the situation. It will also help him/her to understand how to examine you without being too intrusive.
    You mentioned counseling and I would be curious to know how much a counselor has discussed with you about PTSD and depression. Each have physiological effects which can feel like your body basically falling apart on you. Aches and pains, digestive problems, headaches, exhaustion.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disorder, is typically found in patients who tend to bottle up all of their emotions and pain, which then becomes physical pain. Anxiety can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and ulcers. Extreme stress can also mess up your cycle.
    In your case, it sounds like there is something medical going on or your body's reaction to the trauma was to simply shut down.
    Try to meditate in the morning or night for about 5 minutes or more. There are a lot of meditation exercises, but the one that I like is simple: lay down and get comfy in whatever position makes you feel the most relaxed. Take a couple of nice deep breaths, and imagine yourself going somewhere that allows you to feel safe (imagine that you're in your own little world, only the size of a molecule, that only you can find.) While you are meditating, remind yourself that you truly are safe.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If you do this and continue to cope the best you can with everything, you'll hopefully be able to ease some of the anxiety, even the anxiety you haven't noticed yet. Then, perhaps enough of your symptoms will fade in a way you'll be able to differentiate between them all.
    Just on another note: anal sex is relatively common in rape victims, one of the reasons being that the rectum heals quickly. I would be surprised if there was such a problem that lasted so long, due to that.
    Has the dr. scanned or suggested a bowel obstruction yet?
    I wish you luck. I am online quite a bit if you ever need a friend. You're definately not alone hun. (((hugs)))
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You poor thing. Have you been in touch with Rape Victims Advocates? 888-293-2080

Answer by rkoloms at 3:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009