Paragard??

I am thinking about getting an IUD. My family is completely against it. I am searching for your advice and suggestions. I have a 6mos old and a 3yr old stepson. My husband and I are buying a house and at this point and time in our lives we are not ready to have a new baby. What is your experience with IUDs? Or what is your opinion?
Thanks

Babyclark08

Asked by Babyclark08 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Health

• I have had it for a year and a half and it has been fine. The worst pain was when they put it in I had like labor like cramps and bleeding for a week. I do like it , but it is uncomfortable during sex sometimes. But I would recomend it 100 times more than the pill, I can never remember to take them and the hormones make me crazy
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I just asked a similar question. Does paraguard have horrormones? I suggest doing a LOT of research. I regret having the Mirena inserted. Why is your fam against it? I dunno, it's different for everyone but I HATE Mirena.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am from a very religious family... my mom is an RN and she is convienced that it is a type of an abortion each month.
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have the Paragard- it's great with the exception of the heavy cramping and spotting. I'm one of those people that can't remember to take a pill every day and I don't do well with traditional bc- it turns me into a lunatic, to put it lightly, lol. Why is your family against it?
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 2:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thats the IUD I wanted but a lady my aunt know's got cancer from the copper.
    So I got Mirena even and Its good so far.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I've had Paragaurd for a couple years now. Here's my thoughts...

Pros:
    You don't have to remember to take anything
    Non-hormonal
    Easily removed and you can get pregnant the day it's removed
    You can keep in for up to 10 years

Cons:
    My periods have been longer
    My husband can sometimes feel the string when we make love
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• "I am from a very religious family... my mom is an RN and she is convienced that it is a type of an abortion each month. " Low dosage birth control pills may allow conception, just not allow implantation.

A diaphram is hormone free, has no side effects, is instantly reversible, and does not have a history of class action lawsuits, strokes or infertility.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009