What birth control worked for you?

I know we went over this in grade school health ed, but I'm in a quandry. I was on the pill, using no antibiotics and taking it every day at the exact same time, literally set to an alarm on my phone. And I got pregnant. Now, I know that it would most likely not happen again if I went back on the pill, but is it worth the risk? So, after my son was born I had the Mirena inserted. It is MISERABLE! I can't continue living like this. But, what other birth controls are there? I want something that isn't going to make me this hormonal, isn't going to cause an "oops" and won't be painful, intrusive or otherwise something just like the Mirena. When I talk to the doctors about it, they say Mirena's the best.
Opinions? What worked for you? What didn't? Why?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Health

• I have gotten pregnant twice off the pill! Depo shot worked wonders for me but if you want another baby soon it is probably not best. It took me two years to even get a period after Depo! It was nice though because I had no period, you get the shot every three months, and it didn't make me crazy.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Get a second oppinion, I mean I got pregnant from the pull out method, my freind got pregnant on the pill and my other friend using condoms, I have the Paraguard now because I cant take the hormones, and its fine but I get pain like after sex sometimes and it hurt to insert.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I got pregnant using a diaphragm (sp?) when i had to get off the pill for awhile.
    Anonymous

• Natural Family Planning. You are in complete control. you get to know your body. Plus side is you know when things aren't right because you aren't poluting your body or confusing your body with unnatural amount of hormones.
    Anonymous

• I love my diaphram. No side effects, no hormones, instantly reversible, no history of class action law suits or infertility.

Keep in mind that the only firm of birth control that is 100% effective is abstinence.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on the type of birth control and your body. There are many different types of pills so a certain type will work better wtih yoru body than others. Condoms work well for some and cause problems or break for others. Pull out is a joke, I think :) and natrual planning can work if you have regular cycles you can follow. Mine are regular when off the pill so it's hard to track. I was on lo ovral and didn't get pregnant until my first month off the pill. BUt after I had the baby, I went on YAZ to help with mood swings and then had spotting due to the pill and am now on ortho cyclean (the othro tricyclean gave me horrible headaches). I'd like to go back to the lo ovral, but the doc thinks the higher does pills will work better for controlling my spotting. It's really just trial and error.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ya'll :-) I would abstain from sex if that wouldn't drive my sweetheart into such a frenzy he'd hop in a barrel and go over Niagra falls! Believe me, with the way mirena makes me feel I could go YEARS without sex! I'm hesitant to do the natural family planning because we really aren't in a position to have another baby yet and because it can take up to 3 years to regulate hormones after a baby, how would I get to know my body?
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I meant my cycles are *not* regular when off the pill. I'm all full of typos and whatnot today :)
    Anonymous

• I have only taken birth control pills. What works for one woman may not work for another. The only thing that is 100% is NOT having sex. I would never do the natural family planning because I want to have sex when I want it, not when my body says I can...just doesn't seem like the safest route IMO.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2009