anyone have gallstones or had gallbladder removed?

Just wondering what all i can find out.I have gallstones found out about 2yrs ago.i had my appendix and a hernia repair.dr.said they couldn't take my gallbladder cuz of everything else they did.I was told to mainly stay away from sausage but i know there is a lot of other stuff not to eat and drink.i havent been having any problems till recently.my stomach hurts and sometimes its a dull constant thing and the last 2 days i have had green bowel movements (sorry i know its tmi) my mom said because of that its my gallbladder and i may be having a attack soon or have to go to dr.I have never had a attack.I am a stay at home mom with no insurance cuz i am not married so i can't run to the dr. till i am in pain bad or badly sick.so can anyone help me out.what have u been through.will i know when i need to go to the dr?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Health

• no one?c'mon some has to be out there they may be of some help
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I had mine out when my second child was just a few months old. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't bother to have it out. Your gallbladder breaks down the fat in the things you eat. My dr said my stomache aches would go away after I had the surgery and my body would learn how to adjust to not having a gallbladder. Um...nope. I learned how to adjust by not eating fatty meats or fried foods. The surgery is a waste of time and energy. Just stay away from fatty foods and you will be fine. Oh, by the way, my gallbladder was compleatly full of stones and was pretty much useless.
    bordprson

Answer by bordprson at 4:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I had mine out, no problems whatsoever. No regrets.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• ooh, the green bowel movement is from the juices in the gallbladder. When the gallbladder is unable to break down the fatty foods you have eaten, the green oily stuff just gets pushed into your inteseines and then your poop turns green. Nothing to worry about.
    bordprson

Answer by bordprson at 4:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Oh. You'll know when you need to go. The pain will be immobilizing.

• I had my gallbladder removed about 4 years ago. Attacks are when you feel terrible pain in your stomach ,chest or back. Mine would be so bad I felt like I couldn't breathe....my gallbladder was a solid mass of stones.

The side effect that can happen from having it removed that another responder mentioned is that now that you don't have a gallbladder your liver has no place to put the bile....it's a yellow color. So sometimes eating certain foods or drinks can trigger what I call a "bile dump"

Not everyone gets this but the resulting bile that can go into your intestines can cause you to have stomach pains and horrible diarrhea. With the yellow bile in it. I still get it maybe once a month, but for years it was DAILY. My Aunt had hers removed about 20 years ago and she still deals with it DAILY! Sometimes in the middle of eating you have to run to the bathroom! Again, though NOT EVERYONE HAS THIS SIDE EFFECT
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I had my gallbladder out on Monday. The attacks felt like a burning pain under my right ribs, and a stabbing pain in my back.
    I haven't had any side effects (except for pain from the surgery) so if you do have a problem with yours, go have it checked out.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2009