Why does my step daughter hate me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• cause you're not her mom...how would you feel?
    Anonymous

• Ask her. Why do you think a bunch of strangers can answer this?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• its true my ma has a bf an i hate him not bc he isnt nice but bc he isnt my dad its just how it works tough it out momma itll be ok
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• just give her space an dnt try an act like her authority bc that will only make it worse shes probably feeling hurt a it is an that will only addon to her stress
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Because you are not her mother, her father loves you and not her mother..
    Even if her mother was the worst mother in the world, she would probably hate any woman who replaced her mother.. You may not feel like you have, but she does..
    Give her time..
    And for your own sake, try not to force her to like you, or force your husband to make her like you.. It will only make things worse.. Any problem you and she has with each other, try to work it out without dragging your husband into it.. He will have to choose sides, yours or hers.. If you decide that your husband is in charge of diciplining her, try very hard not to interfere if you don't agree.. Seriously!
    I'm speaking from experience here...
    Good luck..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 3:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I am a step mom, and my DS has a step mom. It is the hardest job in the world. in our family we do not discipline or anything with the step child. The bio parent does everything, even when the bio parent is not around the step parent reports to the bio parent if something goes wrong. Then the bio parent handles it. That way the step parent is not the bad guy. Good Luck,
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 4:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have a girlfriend going through this with 2 stepdaughters. It's because they're teenagers - they don't like anybody lol She's a teenager, female, and hates the world except for her friends at the lunch table and the boys that haven't broken her heart yet. She doesn't hate you - she hates the image she has of you for whatever reason. Hormones = fun times lol
    TheJBug

Answer by TheJBug at 4:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• One possibility is that she never felt as if she had a say in the situation, with you and her dad getting married. Did you and her dad start dating shortly after the divorce? Or did you spring the "marriage" announcement on her without asking if it was alright with her? When me and my husband got married a year ago, we asked my son (his step son) how he felt about that and if he was okay with it all. Mind you, we would've gotten married regardless, but at least he felt he had something to contribute. Our family is well blended at this stage I feel because of our inclusion of my son.
    TheWards7277

Answer by TheWards7277 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Could be a lot of reasons. Have your DH ask her.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I hate all my dads girlfriend because I'm a daddys girl and I get jealous. Especially if they have little children because I feel like they take the "shine" away from my daughter. When my dad is dating someone he has no time for me and I hate it. So I don't really hate the girl I just hate the situation.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 8:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009