Homemakers, SAHMs, "housewives"...whatever...I need advise please!

When my husband and I first married I was a "housewife" I guess you would call it. We did not have children but I stayed at home and did not work. I found it quite easy and enjoyable to take care of my home and my husband. Then after we had our first child I still stayed at home and for the most part still took care of everything I had before but I'll admit I became a little lax in it. I also started to feel lonely because unlike before we had children I could not just go out in the middle of the day or meet my DH for dinner last minute at our fav resturant. Everything seemed to take SO much planning. So to get a sense of myself again I went back to school toward a nursing degree.

Now we have our 2nd child, I'm back at home and I have to admit that I'm lost. Our baby is only 2 week old but I can't seem to get down any kind of routine. The house is a mess and I don't even know where to begin.

Continued below...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Only the basics are getting done and I'm getting lonely again. I just feel like everything is so chaotic!

How do I get my barrings again? Implament schedules? Anything else helpful?

I REALLY REALLY WANT to be a ood homemaker/SAHM but I'm just lost right now. :( HELP!
    Anonymous

• What you do is first put the baby down then start cleaning, if the baby or your other child needs something getting quick and get back to cleaning. Once your done cleaning get the kids together and go for a walk, to the park or something, meet with other moms at the park and talk to them. You need to socialize!! My routine is wake up at 730am(husband is already gone at 3am) I make breakfast, change the kids diapers, start cleaning. In between I change more diapers get more juice or water or milk for the kids, finish cleaning get the kids down for a nap, they wake up get them some lunch change them again, take them to the park and talk to some moms while I watch my kids run around(they're only 1 and 2) so I really have to watch them, cook dinner, DH gets home we have dinner, take kids a bath, put them to bed and relax with a hot bath/shower or some relaxing TV!! This is a great schedule to follow. cont.
    Anonymous

• cont. to help your newborn get on a schedule try not to let your baby sleep after 5pm so then the baby will sleep most of the night. Keep up with a schedule to get things going. My kids take a nap every day at noon and wake up and eat lunch at 2pm! 2 hours to myself to get laundry done and to eat something yummy!!
    Anonymous

• it'll take awhile to get readjusted. once the baby get into more of a routine it will be easier. 2 kids is a lot more work then one. it took awhile but eventually i got mine to nap at the same time right after lunch. my second one just turned 1 in june. try planning lunch with a friend or a playdates or take a walk in the park if you can. just get out when you can whether its with the kids or not. that helps to fight the lonliness. i understand the feeling though. it will be easier when the baby is older too and you can maybe get a sitter for a couple hrs just to go out for some "me time", good luck and hang in there
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• With the loneliness issue you could always join a local mom's group. I don't know where you live but I found one from this network that is great: http://www.themommiesnetwork.org/
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I usually start every day with a "to-do" list, to keep myself on track. If the house isn't always really clean, I feel out of control and bummed out, so that's always at the top of my list. I also take the kids out of the house a lot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• For taking care of the house and family, this site has good tips for getting it all back under control:
    www.FlyLady.net

For taking care of you, join a local mommy group. Try www.meetup.com, yahoo's group section, or one of the national organizstions: www.MOPS.org or www.MomsClub.org
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The first Anon had really good advice..and she sounds like me, LOL, wake up, take care of kids, clean, take care of kids, clean...etc....7:30 am is about right though.. Since my son has been out of school I've been getting up later and I feel out of routine like I dont have enough time t get everything done. For the days when I want to sleep longer (when the baby lets me), I'll prepare my coffee pot (leaving the plugging in for the morning), I make the baby's bottle and cereal, and stick em in the fridge, put my son's cereal (without milk) in a bowl with saran wrap over it, a spoon next to it, his banana, on the table, a cup of milk, and cup of OJ in the fridge, so the morning runs smoothly. I also try to get all the dishes done so there's nothing n the sink in the morning. After I do the morning dishes, and clean the kitchen, I make my son's lunch, so he can grab it when he feels like it without interupting whatever I'm doing
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• All I can say is welcome to the club, hon! My house is NEVER clean and my kids took ages to get on a schedule...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Enjoy your time with your babies. They grow up too fast. The mess isn't going anywhere, but your children are. I plan on cleaning when my youngest turns 18 in about 10 years.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 15, 2009