I'm having a second baby & my last , is it tacky to buy used things ( car seat etc.. from craigslist?

I didn't think I was having any more babies so what I had I gave away 2 yrs ago : (

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I reused stuff from my older kids so whats the deal with buying used stuff...now as far as the carseat...NEVER EVER EVER buy used...its seriously dangerous.
    Heres a checklist to see if a used seat is safe
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx
    Think of the carseat as an investment in your babies future, without the safety and protection of it yous baby could die and have no future. If you want to spend less money total, then buy seat that goes from birth to 65 lbs and all you'd need to buy after that is a booster and those are cheap...the Truefit, Myride 65, and sunshine kids radian 65 all have infant paddings(well you have to buy the padding made by sunshine kids for theirs) and the harness goes low enough for 5 lbs newborns the myride and radian RF to 40lbs, TF RFs to 35lbs they all forward face int he harness to 65lbs...they range in price from $150-225 but they are the only seat you'd need
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• why would it be tacky?
    you are buying hte things for you
    who would call it tacky its your choice
    honestly i think you were jsut bored
    Anonymous

• no i dont think its tacky at all...i think its a good way to save money! and you're child will never know the difference.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If you buy a car seat just be sure to check the expiration date! Anything else, go for it! That stuff's expensive and babies outgrow them so fast you can find lots that are next to new for great deals on there.
    Anonymous

• No it's not tacky but you should not buy a used car seat from someone you don't know. You do not know if it's been in an accident or not and what unseen damage there may be. Just get new on that, better to be safe than sorry.

Anonymous

• nope.

#3 was a complete surprise for me, I got mostly hand me downs and consignment stuff for her. bought the carseat new though.

do what you feel fits your situation! in the long run I'm sure it will save you many pennies.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Ok to the first person who responded I 'm asking because my mother made me feel guilty about buying form craigslist BTW not bored just asking a question thank you
    Anonymous

• If your mom has a problem with it then tell her to buy the stuff.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I know! she puts her 2cents into everything!! very annoying
    Anonymous

• it's not tacky!

i recently sold a bunch of my son's infant items on craigslist! the people that bought them were all different...some looked very poor while others looked financially stable!

my son only gets 2nd hand items...i almost bought him a new outfit from kmart yesterday, but didn't...he hasn't had a new outfit since he was an infant...
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009