Anyone been to an interview 9 months pregnant?

I have been out of college for a little over a year, and taught at a HeadStart last year. I hated it, and really want an elementary position. I got a call today for an interview Wednesday. I am 36 weeks pregnant (and 1 cm dilated!). I am having some reservations because I know people are already going to have their opinions just from looking at me and seeing how big I am. Plus I have no idea what to wear, and dont want to have contractions or my water break or something during the interview! Anyone else been through anything similar?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• For a job, no.
    For a pediatrician, yes.
    The day after I went, I had my son...three weeks early.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• oh wow! I really commend you for looking for a job even though you are pregnant but I think you should let them know that you are pregnant and see if maybe you can start after your maternity leave ends and after you've had your baby. I've never been to an interview at 9 months pregnant. I did go when I was 7 months pregnant and reassured them that I would return. I wasn't paid but by law they couldnt tell me no!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would have said no do not even bother, I was fired when thet found out that I was pregnant

but yours is for a job teaching children
    so go for it
    and since you are SO pregnant, make light of it, a joke even about bringing a future student with you or whatever
    you are going for a job all about kids-right
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thanks! School doesnt start until the end of August, so even if I were to get the job I wouldnt have to start for a little while. On the application I put that I was free to start possibly around the 2nd week of September or sooner, depending on when the baby is due, so I will probably mention that at the interview as well. I am not counting on getting the job, but it would be a big raise in pay and much better benefits for our family! I have a son who is almost 3, so I know what to expect as far as having the baby and juggling work. I started back to college full-time when he was 2 weeks old! But my MIL was keeping him so I knew he was in good hands.
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Go! It is illegal to discriminate against a pregnant woman; they can't ask you about childcare arrangements, or any other personal questions.
    When I had my August baby, I wore loose sundresses with a suit jacket or blazer.

Good luck!!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would just let them know that you're prepared to have a sitter and everything set up by the time they need you. I know school doesn't start until then, but don't they have meetings before then too? Their only worry would be that the new baby would interfere with your work schedule. When you go in put their fears to rest and you should be fine.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I did. I told them upfront that I was at least 7 weeks from being able to start work. It worked out fine because they were not ready for 8 weeks. I got the job!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't have any experience with this, but I say go for it. The worst that can happen is you don't get the job. I would probably wear dress pants and a nice shirt with ballet flats. If you have dresses or skirts, that might be better. Good luck!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I went to a job interview at 8 months pregnant. One question was asked....how long will I need maternity leave? I told them at least 6 wks. I was being honest. I didn't get the job plus when I called and asked why, I didn't get a call back. Hope that helps.
    Valerie_2

Answer by Valerie_2 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009