Is it too late to give up my children for adoption?

I have twin girls who are 8 months old and I was wondering if I could still give them to a family who can care for them better. I suffer from a multitude of hardships including homelessness and just don't feel confident that I can care for them any longer. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's not to late, many people would love to be able to adopt twin little girls, including my sister who is in a foster to adopt program, that is her dream.
    Anonymous

• Look into it at least. You've got two needy babies and if you can't provide for them I would hope it would be ok to find someone that could. What state are you in? Can you use google to look up info on adoption agencies in your area?
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It's not too late and shows how much you love them that you want the best for them. I wish you luck with everything!
    Anonymous

• If you're absolutely sure that this is what you want to do then talk to someone at social services. Your children will be placed into foster care until they are adopted.

There is no telling how long it will take for that to happen, or if they''ll be split up or not.

You can also try to get assistance from the state if you wish to keep your girls.

Whatever you decide, best of luck
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• If you've tried everything in your power then it's not too late, find a family that your comfortable with. In my opinion I think you can do it, call your family for help, friends anyone the father of your children. You can find a job, get on welfare until you can get a job, once you do have a job the govn. with pay for daycare until you can afford it. I think it's possible, you obviously wanted to keep them!!!
    Anonymous

• It is not too late. Giving your children up for adoption is one of the hardest you'll ever make. I commend you for looking at your situation with what is in their best interest in mind. Have you looked into any social agency in your area that might help you find emergency housing? If your hardships are temporary perhaps letting them go to foster care while you try to get on your feet is an option. Otherwise, go to any hospital, police station or fire station and tell them You are homeless and are unable to take care of them. They will help you find the right choice for you.
    Anonymous

• There are also multpile private adoption agencies that you can look up on the web and some of them that actually let you choose the parents your children will end up with and keep in touch. I'm sorry that you are going through such a hard time, but I think it shows how good of a person that you are because you are thinking of your children first. Good luck.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• First off, I have chills right now lol because I am amazed that seven out of seven responses were kind on here. That doesn't happen very often and I hope whoever else may read this won't bash. I struggle on a DAILY basis with anxiety, OCD and depression. And we aren't good financially either. I also have a special needs child. So when I got pregnant the second time, I thought for sure there was no way possible to care for another child. I cried, begged and pleaded my DH to let me give the baby up for adoption. He said he could never do that. We are surviving-but it is definitely a daily struggle.
    I truly believe with God ALL things are possible. If you want these babies, there are people willing to help you in the meantime until you get on your feet. But if you have made up your mind-definitely get in touch with your local social services program.
    Anonymous

• (cont from above)
    I know when I had my second child I almost immediately had a breakdown when I had to come home and deal with my special needs child. I called up my local agency and they told me that I could place my child in temporary foster care until things were more managable at home. Thankfully, I didn't have to end up doing this-but there are a TON of places/services that CAN help you if you need it.
    Keep in mind though, that they may end up split up-and if they go into foster care you probably won't have a say in which family would be chosen for them-I THINK-I am not 100% sure. A private adoption agency might be best. I wish you and those girls all the very best. May God bless you!
    Anonymous

• I too am shocked that there are no bashers here. It takes a lot of guts to ask this question- and only a truly wonderful mother would consider giving her children away when she knows that it is what's best for them.
    I think by now you know that it is not too late and that there are a lot of options for you. Look up Jobs and Family Services in your state. call them and tell them you need to meet with someone to go over your options, maybe you can find a way to keep them, maybe you'll still feel it best to give them up for adoption, but make sure you know all of your options before making such a permanent decision. I wish you and your babies the best of luck no matter what you do.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009