When you switched your child to a toddler bed, did they not want to stay in their bed and get out of it and come to your bed?

How did you break them from doing that? And what worked and didn't work to keep them in their own bed? Should I start my daughter off by having her bed beside my bed then later on put the bed in her room? Or start off by keeping the bed in her room?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we just shut his door. the first few nights he cried and such, and would sleep on the floor by the door.. but after 3 nights he was sleeping in his bed
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Well, I've never had this problem. My son didn't like his crib and loved sleeping in ours.. but not WITH US. . for naps or something. So we ended up getting him a toddler bed with rails and everything, and he loves it just fine.
    However, my best friend did have this problem - mainly because he was freaked out about having to sleep by himself in an unfamiliar place.
    So what she did, was the first few nights, he slept with them. The next few nights, he slept next to their bed in a sleeping bag. The next few night, it was in the doorway. Next few, in the hallway. etc. etc.
    He'd wake up, and call out for her, and be reassured that she was close.
    The last night, she got him a walkie talkie, and whenever he'd get scared, he'd "radio in"
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• At first he loved it and would sleep in it all night, then his sister was born and even though she was in a crib in our room he wanted to be in there as well. We brought his bed in but he wanted to sleep in our bed, as of now our DD is in her own room in a crib and our DS's bed is in our room at the foot of the bed. He sleeps in his bed but sometimes he gets out. We would love to put him in his room with the door shut but he knows how to open it and his sister is in there and he would wake her up, so we just deal with it for now.
    Anonymous