Mississippi Town elects first black mayor - inspired by Barack Obama!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/crossingamerica/5810701/Down-the-Mississippi-delta-town-elects-first-black-mayor.html

Mr Brown was the first black man ever to stand for Mayor of Alligator and it took Mr Obama’s election to galvanise him into action. “Obama was a major influence on everybody,” he said, almost drowned out by the chirping of crickets in the sweltering afternoon heat. “He inspired me. I’m not going to take that from him.

I just want the people to be comfortable. Small towns like this depend on government funding and that’s what we’re seeking.

Isn't that great?!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• I didn't read the article. I don't really care what it says, but just judging by your title I think that is SO wrong. So you are implying that many/most people voted for Obama due to race. Those that did are stupid. NOBODY'S race qualifies them for an office, and if the only reason this person was voted into office was because of his race then THAT is racism!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• OP: you're totally right!! That is SO AMAZING! I LOVE your spin on things! Golly gee...you're smart!

I also know your totally full of **it. You're now going to go on and on about Obama and change and how anyone who voted for him is an idiot like the mayor of Alligator and the 100+ people who voted for HIM. Alligator, Mississippi is certainly reflective of the Real America. If you believe that, you live in a sorry place.

Yes, yes, OP. You really nailed, Ol Girl!
    MissBearNMonkey

Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 5:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• So, what's your point? That this poor town in Mississippi needs government funding? That the new mayor will be asking for it? That he's black?
    Do you think that there is a connection?

In related news: The governor of California asked for government funding because he's
    run the 5th largest economy in the world into the ground.
    For the record: he's a Republican and he's not black.
    DivaG

Answer by DivaG at 6:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• For the record Arnold is no pub
    Anonymous

• For the record, Anon, Schwarzenegger is a member of the Republican party and has been since hearing Nixon speak in 1968. Also for the record, he ran for governor of California on the GOP ticket and was elected as such in 2003 and 2006.

You may not agree with his stance as a Republican, but it doesn't change is party affiliation.
    DivaG

Answer by DivaG at 7:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Ive been to Alligator---I'm not impressed----but hey at least its not some 40-year politician!

or is he a lobbyist?
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• So they voted based on race and not ability too?
    Anonymous

• yippie skippy..who cares
    Anonymous

• For the record being a member does not make him one.
    Anonymous