Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the father ask to sign his rights over?

When my son is born I plan on taking his father to court for child support.
He has shown no intrest in being in his life the past 2months - he disappeared.
My question is, when we go to court (I plan to get a DNA test done) I know he's his but just so he can never deny him since he's acting this way. When this is done can he ask to sign his rights over and will the judge grant this? I have been told they will not do this "Leaving a child fatherless" unless there is someone to adopt?
If nothing else - He should have finacial legal obligation to him.

I don't know if he will do this or not.
1) If he ask to have his rights terminated will they do it?
2) or will they grant me child support, and do they ONLY give visitation if he asks for it?

Answer Question

Asked by Maya09 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • He can ask, but it probably won't be approved. My sons father asked to have his rights terminated and the judge denied it and made him pay child support. I could have gotten a no contact order that would have expired when my son turned 18 but his father stayed away without it and I stil get a losey $50 a week in support. Contact an attorney and see what the laws are in your state.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • IF he wants to give up his rights then he legally can there is nothing you can do about it . Im sorry about that .
    But a good thing is later in life when you meet the right man , that man could legally adopt your child , and your ex cant say anything about it .
    You wont get child support im pretty sure about that .
    If he does do child support then he will get visitaion he doesnt have to ask for it the judge will just grant it .
    The way he sounds tho even if he did do child support he probably would never want to be there anyways . I hope things get better for you . I know how much this stuff sucks. Im still going thru it all as well

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • The positives about this issue are that you will be able to make all the decisions concerning your child, and you will not have to worry about what he says or thinks. If the rights are terminated, then a good man (and there are some still left out there...I got one) will want to adopt. I know it has been done in my state (Louisiana), but there are different laws in each state about this. Contact an attorney that handles child custody (most divorce lawyers do).

    Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • The poster above doesn't know what she's talking about. If you have a DNA test that proves he is the father, then you have every right to seek child support! He knew you were pregnant, he admits to having sex with you AND he's the biological father, it shouldn't be a problem. The state is VERY sympathetic to women who have to deal with deadbeat dads.
    What an a**hole.
    Visitation is a whole other issue, btw. He doesn't have to see your child, but he will have to pay regardless.

    Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 4:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I was referring to Mrs.Owens.

    Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 5:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • in pa just b/c a dad signs off on a child doesnt mean they dont pay child support. in pay when a dad right is revoked or if they sign off they still have to pay child support all they r doing is giving up visitation rights to that child. my ex looked into when he was with me and he had a dd with another woman who was making r lives hell

    Answer by rainmommy at 5:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • it all depends on the state that you live in and the judge that you get.

    Answer by etsmom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • He can ask but there's no way a judge will allow him to do that unless there is a willing parent to adopt. Give your baby your last name. It's your choice to do this and trust me, it makes things easier. In order for him to be on the birth certificate he will have to be present at the hospital when they bring in the paperwork. If not, they will put "unknown" down. You can still get child support. You will have to go to court and file a petition and you will need a current address in order for the court to serve him.

    A judge is not going to purposely "bastardize" a child. If parents were able to just sign off their rights, all dead beats would do it, moms included.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.