Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the father ask to have his rights terminated??

When my son is born I plan on taking his father to court for child support.
He has shown no intrest in being in his life the past 2months - he disappeared.
My question is, when we go to court (I plan to get a DNA test done) I know he's his but just so he can never deny him since he's acting this way. When this is done can he ask to sign his rights over and will the judge grant this? I have been told they will not do this "Leaving a child fatherless" unless there is someone to adopt?
If nothing else - He should have finacial legal obligation to him.

I don't know if he will do this or not.
1) If he ask to have his rights terminated will they do it?
2) or will they grant me child support, and do they ONLY give visitation if he asks for it?

Answer Question

Asked by Maya09 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Yes. At least in the state of GA they can. My ex did this after I remarried and had another child. He didn't want to pay child support anymore, so he had them terminated....all his idea, not mine. I think he may regret it now though.

    Answer by lighthousemom3 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • wow.
    So all he did was ask and they did that?!

    Answer by Maya09 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • lol honey i just had de ja vu lol
    i answered in just for fun
    like i said there i hope things get better
    if you need to talk im here for ya

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I don't think they terminate their right just because they no longer want the responsibility. That  would be crazy I would speak to a lawyer and find out what the laws in your state are


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • Yes, you can give up a baby for adoption at anytime. (At least in KS) A little unasked for advice, I would allow him to sign over his rights. He doesn't want to be a father why force it on him? If you ever marry you might find a man who is willing to adopt and being fatherless will make it a lot easier on your part.

    I have several friends who got pregnant in the 90's and by the 2000 they were ready to terminate all rights and child support just to not put up with stress and drama that added nothing to the child's life but misery.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • My BIL did it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2009


    here is some info hope it helps

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • I have heard if that is what they want to do they can sign their privleges away no more kids for them. Just like he had never had any kids. (this is so sad)...He might still have to pay something though I don't think they get off that easy. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • In Florida, NO, and I am surprised to hear that any state will allow this. In Florida, a father cannot elect to terminate parental rights, and is obligated to pay support whether he wants the kid or not, and whether he visits the kid or not. Visitation is handled separately and is a right of the non-custodial parent which cannot be withheld for lack of support payments. The non-custodial parents aren't "paying" support for the right to see their children, the two are separate issues. Parental rights can only be terminated if it is proven the other parent would be "unfit" for the children, extremely difficult to prove, or if the non-custodial parent agrees to surrender his/her rights in an adoption. In Fl, parents are financially responsible for their kids until they turn 18, regardless of visitation or if parents were ever married, otherwise, the state would be paying the bill.

    Answer by tekmom72 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • Also in Florida, if the non-custodial parent fails to pay their support obligations, it can be automatically deducted from their paycheck, tax refunds will be seized until obligations are up-to-date, Driver's License can be suspended, and non-custodial parent can be placed in jail for "contempt of court"...

    Answer by tekmom72 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.