How do you avoid your child watching tv?

I try to turn him away from the television when we watch it, but sometimes he just sneaks around to see. How can I avoid this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We couldn't believe it when our baby started becoming interested in the TV at 2 months old! At first I would try to distract her by laying her on her playmat, showing her pictures from a book, or putting a mirror toy in front of her to block the TV. But after a while she would become bored and try to look at the TV anyways and it wasn't really enjoyable to me. So we just had to change....now the TV isn't on unless she is asleep. All her toys are in another room, just in case someone wants to watch TV while she's awake but now there's no way that she could see it and the noise is muffled. It's really a lifestyle change for the better. I find I don't really miss the TV because she does so many interesting and new things every day!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Watch when he is asleep.
    Move the tv to a room with a door you can close.

If you're watching adult programming, you definitely can't have him sneaking to "see"!
    Anonymous

• Don't watch tv. Its a lot easier to teach kids not to do something when you aren't doing it. It's kinda like spanking a kid for hitting. It doesn't make any sense to them. Lead by example.
    Anonymous

• I didn't even have the TV on when he was an infant - although he had colic so I was busy doing other things with him -he never had any interest in it until recently. SO we just turn it off.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have digital cable that offer's all the music channels without all the nasty commercials (like radio does sometimes) so I just turn on music for most of the day!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Don't have the TV on if he's there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• We never turned the TV on if she was in the room.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• It is also hard for me. I had the same problem with my two month old, he is now 19 mos. Our newest DS is also shown signs that he has an interest in the moving colors. As another mom mentioned turn on the stereo. Play music it is so much better for their minds, for all of us. We make it a point in our family to turn off the TV in our home. I rarely watch tv I am so busy. We should really have the cable disconnected because when we watch tv as a family its a movie on DVD or On Demand that we pay for anyway. If it weren't a bundle attached to our phone and internet I would have it turned off. HTH!!
    PatricksMama07

Answer by PatricksMama07 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009