• In the Spotlight:

Infant seat or convertible seat????

I'm in the market for a new car seat for baby #2 due in September. I cant decide between getting an infant seat or convertible seat. I have an extremely rambunctious little boy that will be almost 3 when baby comes. The thought of trying to hang on to the new baby and chase big brother when we go out scares the crap out of me! Lol! So i cant decide if getting an infant seat that baby will be relatively save in if i have to put him down to chase big brother is better or to get a convertible seat and a front pack carrier and have baby in that instead. I'm also thinking cost-wise, the convertible seat makes more sense. I can spend around $180 and get a seat that will last til he's 60 lbs or an infant seat for around $100 AND a toddler seat in a year or so for around $100.

Any suggestions?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 5:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my older child is very rabuncious. and we made it work.. i jsut ahd to work with him.. he now touches the side of the car and waits until i put his brother in. then he holds my hand and walks to the other side.... maybe try working with him for a month then deciding.. most babies dont make it a year in the infant carriers, so youd most likley need a bigger seat within 6-8 months...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• How about...
    Infant seat placed inside the grocery basket, preschooler belted into the basket seat? Children should not ride in the basket and infant seats should never be balanced on top of the basket seat - both can end up with a dead child.

Another option is baby in the basket seat once he's able to hold himself up and a harness for the preschooler so he can't run away.

If you simply can't contain the preschooler safely (all kids are different after all!), then I'd opt for a baby carrier and either of the car seat options. And never hesitate to holler for another adult to grab him as he darts off. Being grabbed by a stranger will quickly stop the "fun" factor in the game of "chase me mommy!"
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Personally I would go with the convertible and a sling. It is how I did the last one, and my kids were 15 months apart. It was great having my hands free. I would get the baby into the sling first then unbuckle the toddler.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Either would be fine. But if you don't think you want to lug around the infant carrier... I would get a True Fit convertible. They fit newborns very well. And then you would only need the one seat that should last for several years
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• IMO its worth the money to get the carrier and then buy a convertible when he out grows it. I used the carrier all the time. Its great for when they fall asleep in the car so you don't have to wake them. I also used to put him in it and rock it back and forth to get him to sleep on rough days (but he was strange-the only baby who didn't like his swing)
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 6:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I did the convertable with my first and it was such a pain in the butt the first 6 months.
    I personally would go with a basket carrier first and then a toddler seat. By the time your little one is in a toddler seat your first should be big enough for a booster so you wouldn't even have to buy another one. Plus if you got in an accident the infant seat is going to be safer and easier to get out if you have to vacate the car fast.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The cheapest and most safe imo...is the convertable and a front pack. they have convertables that go from 5 lbs up to 100 lbs......so its a booster too! i would be afraid to sit my infant down in the car seat to chase after another lo. someone could pick the infant up and be gone. with the front pack...you have the safety of not sitting them alone.....and both hands to grab the other lo......AND you wont have to spend 100 for a seat now and then 100 for a seat later.
    Anonymous

• OH goodness don't get the convertibles that go to 100lbs as a booster...they SUCK especially for infants...and make dangerous boosters...UGH..if you wanna really know a greta answer to this question go to a carseat group like car seat safety and they will give you opinions...some of the ladies there are car seat techincians trained in the safety and installation of carseats...

For newborns go with a Myride 65, truefit or SUnshine kids radians...they all have LOW harness heights and infant insters..you have to by an insert for the radian from the company but they have them and they harness to 65lbs and very high heights, the MR65 and radians rearface to 40lbs too...

They range in price from $150-$200, the Mr65 last 6 years, the TF 7 years and the sunshine kids 8 years from manufacture...the 3 in 1 seat mentioned by PP only last for 6 years so wouldn't last til booster age anyways
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think it will all depend on what works for YOU. I have 3 kids. 6 3 and 5 months. I have a carrier because I personally like the portability. plus we have 2 bases so if we have to swith to hubbys cars ts much more practical. We alo have to toodler seats and boosters.
    However when it comes to going places my LO (5 months) usually prefers the sling or front carries. With my 2 older ones I give them jobs when we go. Like you look for this or that or count 20 steps. Something along those lines.
    For the car seat thing I would just see what works for you. Sometimes you can find good used or new ones from craigslist or ebay for a good price.
    Good luck
    momofbaizoe

Answer by momofbaizoe at 8:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009