Why do they neglect to mention leftwing extremism?

http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/left.pdf

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They did, you just didn't choose to read it...
    http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hsa-leftwing-extremists-increase-in-cyber-attacks-dated-26-january-2009.pdf

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/political-media/obtained-dhs-memo-warning-of-left-wing-extremists/

While this new memo was mentioned tangentially by The Washington Times, reading the whole memo in full shows clearly that a similar approach was employed towards the left and deflates any claims of DHS “bias.”
    But the memo I’ve obtained describes “left wing extremism” as including people who “embrace a number of radical philosophical components of anticapitalist, antiglobalization, communist, socialist, and other movements.” That seems equally sweeping.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• But the memo I’ve obtained describes “left wing extremism” as including people who “embrace a number of radical philosophical components of anticapitalist, antiglobalization, communist, socialist, and other movements.” That seems equally sweeping.

Critics of the right wing memo also decry the description of “right wing extremists” as violence-prone. But the left wing memo — which is dated January 26th — also explicitly warns of violence from left wing extremists.
    sweet-a-kins

• I knew it was out there but rarely have I heard any mention whereas I have heard tons of mention of the right wing extremists.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Becasue the conservative blow hards blew it up...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Becasue the conservative blow hards blew it up...

~~~~~~~~~~~

interesting choice of words coming from an ultra-liberal who thinks William Ayers was "justified" in expressing his "free speech" as he went around terrorizing and killing innocent people.
    Anonymous

• WHERES GHANDI???
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• The media is a bunch of left wing extremists.lol
    Anonymous

• Well, sweetakins, it is reassuring that there is not one-sided suspicion of "right-wing" activism (but I do not fault Carpy for "not choosing to read" something she didn't know about)

Thank you for the link to more comprehensive information.

Wait a minute. I just read the whole thing, and the article ABOUT it which the 2nd link brings up. The warnings about left-wing cyber-attacks is, in truth, MUCH milder than the stuff about the right-wing. It is talking about cyber-attacks, and does NOT mention killing multiple law enforcement officers or racist hate-crimes like the right-wing warning does. The right-wing warning lists pro-life & anti-tax groups in the same sentence with racist white supremacy groups, and gives violent and alarming examples of the activites of "these" groups.

The left-wing groups are animal & environmentalists, or anarchists. Incidents of shootings or bombings are NOT mentioned. ... So,(cont'd)

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Becasue the conservative blow hards blew it up... ~~~~~~~~~~~ interesting choice of words coming from an ultra-liberal who thinks William Ayers was "justified" in expressing his "free speech" as he went around terrorizing and killing innocent people.

IWTH are you talking about??? First, William Ayers killed ZERO people. second, how does a man who was protesting the viet nam war tie into the current dept. of homeland security report about right AND left wing extremists?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• (cont'd) ... So, although I was looking for an even-handed treatment of both "left-wing" and "right-wing" active groups, I cannot say that I found it.

Whether there is more suspicion about right-wing groups in the Homeland Security orders, and more encouragement to track them and be braced to move quickly against them than against left-wing groups is one aspect of this report.

Another important aspect is this movement to nationalize our law enforcement, to alarm and influence local officers. Through federal program $$, we already have political correctness superceding public safety (here in CA, anyway). i.e. focus on citing mild citizens over seat belts / cell phones.

There is great safety for citizen's rights in keeping law enforcement decisions local (hence the time-honored separation of local and FBI jurisdictions). I support sharing info, but NOT creating a pervasive expectation of violence from certain groups.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009