Which one is your favorite verse of the bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Psalm 23
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 6:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Psalms 121
    1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills,
    from whence cometh my help.

2 My help cometh from the LORD,
    which made heaven and earth.

3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved:
    he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel
    shall neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD is thy keeper:
    the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.

6 The sun shall not smite thee by day,
    nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil:
    he shall preserve thy soul.

8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in
    from this time forth, and even for evermore.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Jeremiah 9:23-24
    "Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD."
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Colossians 3:12-17 (The Message)

12-14So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Today it's Ecclesiastes 3:15 because I'm watching world history repeat itself.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My favorite would probably have to be Ecclesiastes 7.

Namely:
    "In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these: a righteous man perishing in his righteousness, and a wicked man living long in his wickedness.

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise— why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool— why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

Wisdom makes one wise man more powerful than ten rulers in a city.

There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.

Do not pay attention to every word people say, or you may hear your servant cursing you-

for you know in your heart that many times you yourself have cursed others.

(verses 15-22)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• 1 thessalonians 4- 11
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 6:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Mine is Jeremiah 29:11-12

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." (NIV)

This was written at a time when the nation of Isreal was captive. There futures were very unsure. In my own life, I have twins, who have special needs. We were in the process of finding a diagnosis for them and I hoped a way to "fix" them. Well diagnosis never came and I grew to accept them as they are. But we don't know what their potential is. We don't know what they can become. That verse helped me so much then, and in the current 'instability" in my life.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Oh teamquinn that is so beautiful! I've always loved that verse (not sure if I can pick ONE all time favorite though), but your story of how it has applied in your life is so touching! Thank you for sharing :-)
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 8:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• As I said above, I'm not sure I could pick just one favorite, but here's a portion of scripture that is so very beautiful and comforting:

John 14:1-4: 1 "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe * in God, believe also in me. 2* In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going."
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 8:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2009