How does the verse go of don't judge cause you shall be judged?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Matthew chapter 7 verses 2-5
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Judge not least ye be judged.
    Anonymous

• Well, it states just that... Judge not, lest you be judged. Matthew 7:1
    Luke 6:37 is similar
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.
    Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
    How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye?
    You hypocrite, 3 remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye.
    Anonymous

• "and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you."

-Some people use this as liscense to condemn people who are guilty of sins that they personally are not guilty of. I take it to mean sin in-general. Until you are completely free of sin, you must love and forgive others.

John 8:6B "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (speaking of a woman who had comitted adultery).

Matthew 18:21: "Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

Mark 11:26 "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• "Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, 3 remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye."

Why do some Christians refuse to acknowledge this or use it only in reference to people other than themselves? It's one of my favorites.

Anonymous

• This passage isn't telling people not to call sin, sin. But to examine, first the standard by which we are judging, if it is arbitrary and not Biblical then it is wrong. Second, and more importantly, these passages call us to examine ourselves first and deal with our own sin.

I cannot condemn someone for dressing immodestly and then go out and commit adultry.

Anon above me, why do non-christians justify doing things that are wrong and if someone says they are wrong they throw this verse at them? Lets be honest, we all sin, christian, non-christian. I for one am not going to say that "Oh I can't judge, when a person is clearly violating the standards of scripture.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I agree teamquinn. But I don't think that this verse means that just because person A is a liar and person B is a theif, that person A gets to pick the "theif" mote out of person B's eye. Until we are clear of ALL sin can we go and point our fingers in another person's face.

This doesn't mean we can't help someone or give them our honest opinion in Christian love and kincness. But there is a HUGE difference between giving a loving opinion from someone else who is also a sinner and standing on a "Holier-than-thou" soap box and judging someone KWIM?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think I lost my answer. Anyway, if we waited to judge until we were all sinless no one would ever set any standard. Think about it this way, we judge all the time, as individuals, as families and as societies. Our laws and standards inable society to function. The heart of the issue is whether the standard is consistant and wheather it is applied fairly. That includes applying to yourself as well. So getting on my soap box only sets me up for someone to knock down. I have to remember the "beam" in my own eye.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• I think we are perfectly justified in judging sometimes. For example, I'm not going to let my children play at the home of a convicted pedophile just because I stole a Snickers bar when I was 12. I'm not perfect by any means, but I'm not about to hand a thief my wallet.

I've also seen some of the more "vocal" christians on this site say that those verses only apply to other christians; meaning they can judge anyone they please who doesn't follow jesus. I don't know if that's actual doctorine or merely individual opinion, tho.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2009