Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I change my son's last name?

Recently I asked this and I left out that legally he has no father since he never signed any papers. There is no legal father for him. Thank you, I appreciate all answers.

How do I change my son's last name?
Let me begin by saying he was born in Cook County, IL but we live in Montgomery county, TN. He was born June 2007, I put his bio father's last name thinking that will help him be a part of his life. I was wrong. Now I am married to a better man and have to live with him having the last name of a man who wants nothing to do with him and wouldn't even sign the birth certificate. I don't want him to have that name, I rather put that in the past and have him have my married name. I just had another baby and I want us all to have the same last name. How do I do that?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (2)
  • You couldn't just put the fathers last name just because you wanted to or thought he would be around unless he signed off on it. You will need to petition the courts and get permission from the father.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

  • How old is your son? My husband changed his name to his step father's when he was 16 but I think he could have done it without his bio father's permission at 14 (his younger bro did it at the same time). You do have to sign a bunch of papers and get a name change from the court but my hubby made it sound like it was no big deal. It may be different for your state though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.