I have a Newborn is 97.3 a normal temperature?

Should I be worried my mom is yelling at me and tellin me that my son is really warm and that shes goiin to give him motrin (infant).

SingleMommy09

Asked by SingleMommy09 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal is 98.6
    Anonymous

• How did you take it? Under his arm? It's actually a bit cool for an under arm temp and VERY cool for a rectal temp.
    I would put another light blanket on him if it was an underarm temp. If it's a rectal temp I would be a little worried if he is under 3 months old. Sometimes in newborns their temps go down instead of up when they are really sick (but if he seems fine I wouldn't worry about it)
    You should never give Motrin to a baby under 6 months old and for a low temp it's not going to make it any better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I think it sounds fine. Regardless, Motrin wouldn't help anything. It's Tylenol that reduces a fever...but he doesn't need it, IMO. Tell your mom to relax and let you be the mom. :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 6:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• You can't give an infant under 6mth motrin anyway. Normal axillary temp in NB range from 97.5-99.3 and rectal can be upto 100.2 and still be normal. As long as he isn't crying or seem ill he is fine, just keep an eye on him, hot babies are red and sweaty and cold babies are pale and splotchy. If you go by that you won't have to take his temp all the time unless he seems sick, ofcourse.
    yeaigot4ofem

Answer by yeaigot4ofem at 7:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2009