Offshoot of the weight question

I'm not being snarky - I'm dead serious. If someone managed to find a scripture they could interpret to mean that eating fast food is a sin (and there are several that could apply there), do you think more people would quit eating fast food or would more people just justify it with "everyone sins, we're not perfect, I'll ask forgiveness and work on it" while they still ate Taco Bell?
Someone made the comment in that question that pagans were fat because they didn't have Jesus. Seems to me fast food is the epitome of gluttony - 1500 calories in a single meal, so if it takes having Jesus, wouldn't Christians all trend lighter than the rest (thus making us no longer an obese nation)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lmao.. sorry, just reminds me of the psycho on Trading Spouses (that extreme Christian lady who was freaking out at the end because they other family wasn't Christian)...

and remember that's all I could think of her during the show.. she's freaking out because others aren't Christian (but were very very nice to her, considering how rude she was).. and all I could think of was,
    "gluttony is a sin like anything else, that woman sure needs to look into the mirror". lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2009

• You do have a point. A lot of Christians don't see over-indulging in food as a sin because there are others who are "worse sinners" than they feel they are. Overeating is a sin. It destroys the Holy Spirit's temple. Praying about an addiction isn't enough, you have to get up and DO something about it. I believe a love of food will keep many out of God's Kingdom.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I don't believe it will keep people out of the kingdom of God. I do believe that they will miss out on the blessing of being healthy and enjoying the life God intended them to have on earth.
    Anonymous

• while i doubt fast food itself is a sin, i think being gluttonous is (in all things). i am an obese Christian, but i do not think my weight is a sin. i do not overeat anymore, but i had 4 years of stress & cafeteria eating while not having time to exercise. the result is me being overweight. its a consequence of my old lifestyle & i have to live with it (for now). the Bible never says its wrong to be fat, it just says to be in control of yourself. its okay to enjoy food, so long as its not your reason for living.

i dunno who said Pagans were fat b/c they dont have Jesus...but that persons dumb!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Gluttony is a form of drunkeness and idolatry. The Bible says neither idolaters nor drunkards will enter in. (Revelation 22:15, Galatians 5:19-21)

God will surely destroy whomever defiles the body, the temple of His Holy Spirit. (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Food is the weapon of choice when it comes to suicide in today's culture.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• And isn't gluttony one of the seven deadly sins? But I think gluttony can apply to all kinds of things, so it doesn't apply to only food. And, no, I don't think it would make people start eating less. They would just justify. The same way they justify the other sins they commit.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• ALL sins are deadly. ALL lead to death. (Romans 6:23)
    I agree people will excuse their "pet sins". I'm amazed at how many of my Christian brothers and sisters can't see the seriousness of this issue. For the first time in history, the over-nourished have caught up to the numbers of under-nourished people. It's sad that the "Bible" Belt has to add the most notches. We Christians should know better, we have the power to overcome all of our besetting sins. We have Jesus. ( Philippians 4:13)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I want to know why you feel so justified in picking on or judging Christians.
    Anonymous

• Gluttony is a clear sign of rebellion. Rebellion is a sin. Plain and simple.
    CubanJelly

Answer by CubanJelly at 8:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

Who is picking on Christians? Your inability to read the other question is not my fault.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2009