• In the Spotlight:

Military wives-Does anyone know how to get dogtags changed?

Who my DH needs to talk to in order to get his 'religion' on his dogtags changed?

He is currently in AIT and when he processed in, he stated "Agnostic" for his 'religion' but I don't think they have that in the system. He said the guy looked at him weird, so he just said "none". The processor called him a heathen (funny for those of you who know what a heathen actually is..lol) They put "Christian, Non-denominational" instead. He is stationed in the south, so he doesn't really want to cause a fuss, but he really doesn't want the Christian label on his tags.

We don't really know what personnel to contact about this so any info would be helpful. Thanks!

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• they can put ANYTHING on the tags. my husband has jedi on one lol. you can put ANYTHING YOU WANT.
    jus go thru personnel, or he can ask his drill sgt to direct him in the right direction. and the man who called hiim a heathen can be in serious trouble for that...i would report him. he is NOT ALLOWED to say anything like that to military personnel
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2009

• Hmm...I am pretty sure that you can just go to any shop around you and have a new set made...I will ask my husband (who just ran over to the neighbors for a few minutes) as soon as he gets home and keep you posted!
    Anonymous

• He needs to see his supply officer and explain the situation. It shouldn't be a problem. BTW...the only time anyone pays attn to what religion is written on dog tags is if you are wounded or dead. It is so the appropriate clergy can administer last rites if needed.
    Anonymous

• He needs to go see personal management and make sure to change it on his records. There are many who serve in the military who are not Christian and have it in their records as well as their dog tags. The person who called him a name should have been reported. That is harassment and it will not be tolerated. Any type of harassment he receives should be reported immediately.

Anonymous

• There are Chaplin's that will do rites for even Pagans. When we send pagan ritual supplies to the troops in Iraq we use the local base Chaplin as a POC. He makes sure to get it to the troops. We get thank you cards all the time from our Pagans serving there country. Just wanted to let you know that the military has all kinds of people serving. Yea I agree with the other anon. That person who called him a name should have gotten a letter of counselling. Have him let his First Sergent know what is going on.

Anonymous

• Tell him to go talk to his 1SGTor BC about it..They will be able to help him..
    He need to stand up for what he believes in.

Answer by louise2 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sorry..Go talk to the Drill SGT. He might have to wait tell he gets to his first Duty Stations

Answer by louise2 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I'll pass the suggestions along to him.

Keep 'em coming if anyone has anything else to add...

And I believe the processor was way back at the begining of boot camp and I dont think DH remembers the guy anyway. Plus, he probably wouldn't have said anything at the time, cause, like I said, he doesn't want to make a big fuss. (Hes very sweet and laid back) Believe me, if it had been me, then I would've said something to that guy! But, thats also a reason I'm not enlisted! Too mouthy....LOL
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• that is the most our military has to worry about? well that is good. I will alert CNN
    Anonymous

• Mine said "no religious preference" I don't know how to go about changing it, though. Sorry.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2009