pack n play vs bassinet oh and breast pump.

I just got back from babies r us and was dissuaded from purchasing a bassinet and a breast pump. A woman who worked there told me it would be cheaper to get a pack n play because it has the bassinet in it and a changing table and I get a play yard as well (for when he/she is older) So instead of the sleepy safari bassinet I went to purchase, I got the graco pack n play in nouvelle. Then I found the breast pump I wanted and I asked if they had anymore in the back because it had been opened and if anything else were opened I would be fine and take it home, but idk what has happened to that breast pump and wanted one in a sealed package, never used. She told me that because it was 300 I should wait until I get to try out the breast pump at the hospital to see if I like pumping because she didn't and bought a breast pump she did not use because it caused her too much pain. I'm not usually one who changes their mind (contd)

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 7:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I love my bassinet, but pack and plays are just fine too..I just liked how the bassinet wasn't huge to have next to my bed and it was easy to get him to nurse at night without getting up is all.

Breastpump...heres the deal unless you are a full time working mom, you don't NEED a breastpump to breastfeed, if you are going to work fulltime, YEAH get a medela brand double electric breastpump...if pumping hurts then you need bigger or smaller parts or to turn down the suction...breasts and nipples come in different sizes the pump comes with the middle size but you can buy other sizes for comfort, a lactation consultant which most hospitals have can help you figure out the right size after your baby is born.

If you are not working get an avent isis manual pump or ask for a free one from WIC or the lactation cons. at the hospital after delivery. Pumping is usually not needed for a SAHM, and if its really needed you can get (cont)
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• so easily but she made some very good points. So I wanted someones take on the situation. Did anyone opt for a pack n play over a bassinet and did anyone find out they didnt want to pump while they were breast feeding? I plan on being with the baby for the first 6 months but then I'm going back to school and won't be able to feed on demand.

gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 7:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Well I went out and bought an expensive breast pump (and the stupid part was I opened it to figure out how it worked before the baby was born) just to find out that I have block ducts from scar tissue and couldn't breast feed or pump at all. If you do buy one....don't open it and keep the reciept. As for the bassinet vs pack n play....I think you made the right choice. You'll get so much more use out of the pack n play.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 7:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I have a pack and play, I found one where the bassinet part holds 30lbs, and I'm really excited! its currently being shipped! Its a Summer Infant brand, and though expensive, I think it will be worth it. As for the breast pump, I am going to wait, I have a manual one to see if that will work cause I dont plan on pumping often. Hope I helped.

PS, the pack and play I am getting is from babiesrus.com
    ArmyWife9-2-08

Answer by ArmyWife9-2-08 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Sounds like she gave you some pretty good advice. We used the pack n play for a bassinet and now we use it as a travel crib, and I hated pumping, only did it 10 or so times so that was $230 down the drain.
    Anonymous

• a rental pump from the hospital or a loaner til you are allowed to BF...no worries...

tabi_cat1023