If you and your Husband or SO split up who would take the kids?

Im not spliting up with my fiance but Im just woundering what you would do, would you leave the kids with him or would you take them to live with you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• They would be with me. DH couldn't handle them every day on his own LOL. He knows it too.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Although I know my husband and I would never split up, I know that I would take my son. No questions asked. However, I would not be horrible about the whole "visitation" thing. My son loves his father more than anything and I would not want to do anything to harm that relationship. I would make a point to stay in the area (even though my family live very far away) just so my son and his father could continue to have the same relationship that they have.

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• I would hope it would be amicable enough that we would be able to stay in the same house or share time equally based upon scheduled. But... If it doesn't go perfectly, I would take my son. I am the primary care giver.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 7:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• Since they became tweens and teens we play fight sometimes about who will HAVE to take them.
    Anonymous

• Me. DH and I have very traditional roles. Don't worry, we still help each other out but our roles are well defined. We actually did split up for 6 months. I continued to be a SAHM and my DH continued to support us.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• When I split up from my (ex) husband I took her. He didnt question it, he works 14 hour days often so we both knew the child was "better off" with me. He of course still sees her though. I think it depends on the situation. A girlfriend of mine and her babies father switch off one week with son, then the other however the father watches the child everyday while she is in school for 5 hours...totally depends on the situation!
    SaraNRiley

Answer by SaraNRiley at 7:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My kids go with ME...no matter what. I would never leave my kids, even if I was just getting out of the house. I never want to give my kids the idea that I dont want them. My mother left me with my dad when she left because I refused to go with her. That created many issues of abandonment in me and mistrust. I dont know if she could do anything different, but I know you dont leave your kids.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My husband recently left me and he tried to take my daughter from me. I had to fight like hell to keep her, because he lied through his freakin teeth but in the end, I have full custody of her. He will have limited visitation when he returns from deployment.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• My daughter would stay with my husband. I don't work, haven't really worked in a few years. I wouldn't want her to be in an unstable environment. I would miss her like crazy but my husband wouldn't deny me access to her. Besides he is a good husband and a great father, if he wasn't I wouldn't have married him.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 9:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2009

• until i finish school, i would take my son and stay with my parents (which is far away from my husband). once i finish school and have a job that would allow me to afford living where my husband is stationed, i would want to be no more than 30 minutes from him for my son's sake. no matter what happens between me and my husband, my son needs his dad. my husband is a good man and a great father, so it's no like there's any reason to keep them apart besides being vindictive.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 10:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2009